The Cleveland Museum of Art
Associate Curator of Prints
The Cleveland Museum of Art seeks a highly motivated curator of prints. The collection is known nationally and internationally for its high quality and rare impressions. The collection of approximately 20,000 works ranges from the 15th through the 21st centuries. Particular strengths are 15th-century Italian and German prints; 16th century northern and southern woodcuts, including chiaroscuros, as well as prints by Albrecht Dürer; a superb group of etchings by Rembrandt; French color prints of the 18th century; and an outstanding collection of 19th-century French lithographs.
The Associate Curator of Prints reports to the Chief Curator.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Pursuing scholarly research to support acquisitions, the installation of the collection, exhibitions, publications, and gallery installations.
- In consultation with the Museum Director, Chief Curator, and Curator of Drawings, reviewing and changing as necessary the current plan for the development of the collection and acquiring major works of art through purchase and donation.
- Working in close collaboration with the Conservation Department to regularly assess the conservation needs of the collection.
- Proposing ideas for exhibitions in—but not limited to—the Prints and Drawings Galleries and working with the Curator of Drawings, Chief Curator and Director of Exhibitions and Publications to develop projects.
- Working with the Curator of Drawings and the Director of Exhibitions and Publications to fulfill the schedule of three exhibitions per year in the Prints and Drawings Galleries.
- Proposing ideas for publications and working with the Chief Curator and Director of Exhibitions and publications to develop projects.
- Working with colleagues in the Education and Interpretation Department on programs and didactic materials related to exhibitions. Leveraging opportunities to utilize electronic means to interpret prints.
- Working with colleagues in Advancement to identify and nurture potential donors for projects related to the collection and exhibitions.
- Acting as the curatorial liaison for the Print Club of Cleveland, the oldest print club in the United States associated with a museum, assisting organizing their programs, including the annual print fair.
- Participate in the day-to-day running of the department, which includes responding to scholarly and public inquiries about the collection, and showing prints in the study room to visitors and classes.
- Supervising undergraduate and graduate interns with an interest in prints who are enrolled in the museum’s joint-program in art history with Case Western Reserve University.
Letters of application must include the following:
- A cover letter that addresses the candidate’s interest in the position.
- A published paper or writing sample.
- A complete curriculum vitae of education, employment, honors, awards, and publications.
- The names of three references and contact information.
Please forward your documentation to email@example.com
A Ph.D. in Art History is preferred with a specialization in Old Master prints, but a wide array of interests. A minimum of three years of museum experience. Proficiency in English is required; proficiency in another European language is preferred. Candidates will be judged on their excellence and promise, curatorial and scholarly record, and interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to work as part of a team in a highly collaborative environment is essential, as is basic supervisory experience. Candidates outside the United States are welcome to apply. Compensation commensurate with experience and qualifications. A full range of benefits accompanies this position.
- Cleveland, Ohio, 44106, United States
- April 20, 2016
- Associate Curator of Prints
- Cleveland Museum of Art
- Master’s Degree
- 3-5 Years
Leave a Reply