Summary: Responsibility for the installation of exhibitions; for the packing and crating related to exhibitions and collections; and for transportation of works of art. This includes but is not limited to construction, cleaning, crating, painting and planning.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Responsibility for all aspects of preparing exhibitions for installations at the Arts Center, Artspace, outdoor exhibitions on grounds, and at outreach and touring exhibitions sites.
- Responsible for preparing galleries prior to exhibition installations, including but not limited to; wall construction, wall painting and repairing, and pedestal construction and painting.
- Responsible for transporting works of art, related materials, and equipment for exhibitions and collections, internally and externally.
- Secondary responsibility with the registrar for the care, packing, and shipping of all works of art and related materials loaned to or owned by the ArtsCenter.
- Conduct training of staff members and security guards in the security of all exhibitions and art outside the galleries.
- Responsible for the research and coordination of major repairs and replacements in the galleries in conjunction with the facilities coordinator.
- Responsible for building projects, in cooperation with the curators, related to the display of works of art
- Ability to work directly with artists to install their works of art
- Assist with the monitoring of environmental conditions in gallery spaces.
- Supervises interns assigned to aid with the above duties
- Maintains the organization of the workshop; ensuring staff, volunteers, and interns are aware of proper safety procedures, maintain inventory controls and tracking and oversee general maintenance of equipment
- Secondary responsibility for the setup, dismantling, and technical requirements for other departmental programming and rentals
- Works with the Community Arts Specialist assisting with Community Arts projects, with the artists, and gallery installation of the projects show
- Works with the Preschool Instructors to design and install the Preschool Perspectives show
- Works with the ARTery Specialist to design, build, install three + ARTery installations (3 rotations/year)
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Qualified candidates must have a BA or BFA, and a minimum of 3 years of experience handling and installing works of art. Experience in a museum preferred.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Internet software, Spreadsheet software and Word Processing software. CAD knowledge is a plus.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Knowledge and experience in carpentry, welding, construction, painting, matting and framing art, mounting signs and graphics.
Operational knowledge and experience using a forklift, and general knowledge of how to use it to lift heavy and sometimes awkward loads
Ability to think on the fly and solve installation and handling problems on a timely basis
Heavy lifting, climbing, and strenuous physical activities are essential functions of the position.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
A valid driver’s license is required of employees who drive Arts Center vehicles.
- Sheboygan, Wisconsin, 53081, United States
- April 21, 2016
- Exhibitions Preparator
- John Michael Kohler Arts Center
- 3-5 Years
Leave a Reply