The Appleton Museum of Art/College of Central Florida seeks a Curator of Exhibitions who will be responsible for planning and managing all aspects of the museum’s multi-year exhibition schedule. Working as a part of the museum’s Leadership Team, the Curator will advance the museum’s vision, promote collaboration, engagement and develop strategic collaborations with other organizations and cultural partners.
The museum’s Curator, in coordination with the Director, will create and manage the Cutorial Department’s budget, contracts, schedules, loans and installation, supervise the production of exhibition-related brochures and promotional copy, work closely with the education and marketing staff to facilitate the production of interpretive materials, educational opportunities and audience-engaged activities. The Curator also provides guidance to the museum’s Collection Committee.
The Appleton Museum of Art is a leading cultural center that enriches the quality of life for the people of Central Florida and beyond.
The Appleton Museum of Art brings art and people together to inspire, challenge and enrich present and future generations through our wide range of collections, exhibitions, programs and educational opportunities.
The Appleton is an award-winning contemporary interpretation of classical architecture clad in Italian travertine marble. The 81,610-square-foot museum features 30,000 square feet of gallery space devoted to the Appleton’s permanent collections. The Edith Marie Appleton Gallery 4,000 square- foot, two-story exhibition gallery, was added in 1996 and a 2,662-square-foot art storage facility was completed in 2009. Galleries in the original building are arranged in a quadrangle which surrounds an interior courtyard and fountain. The museum features a 250-seat auditorium, art library, three art studio/classroom spaces and courtyard café which can accommodate 150 guests.
Founded in 1982, the museum was a gift from Arthur I. Appleton to the Ocala community. The City of Ocala donated the 44-acre site for the home of the museum, construction began in 1984 and the museum opened to the public in 1987. Originally built to display and preserve Mr. Appleton’s extensive art collection, today the Appleton is one of the South’s premier art museums and a leading cultural institution in Marion County.
Since opening day, the museum’s mission has been to consistently exhibit works of fine art and artifacts for the public and provide educational programming for visitors. Since 2004, governance of the museum has been through the College of Central Florida and the CF Foundation.
The Appleton Museum of Art is the focal point of the Appleton Cultural Center, a complex east of downtown Ocala on Silver Springs Blvd./State Road 40 which also includes the Ocala Civic Theatre.
The museum’s permanent collections of approximately 18,000 objects include European, American, Asian, African, Contemporary and pre-Columbian art and artifacts, and a series of temporary traveling exhibitions are presented throughout the year. The museum is also building a collection of works of Florida artists which relates directly to the history and cultural heritage of the Central Florida community.
For additional information please visit the museum’s web site at www.AppletonMuseum.org.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Art or History is required, Master’s Degree, preferred
- Three years exhibition planning and management experience in a comparable art museum is required.
- Knowledge of exhibition planning and design, collection management, care, and cataloguing of fine art.
- Knowledge of art preparation and museum standards for displaying works of art.
- Knowledge of the integral relationships of education to planning and curating interpretive exhibitions and related programming.
- Knowledge of Management and Supervisory principles and practices.
- Ability to work collaboratively with all departments in the museum.
- He/She will work collaboratively with museum staff in planning interpretive exhibitions.
- Supervise and administrate cutorial staff, curatorial interns, fellows and volunteers.
- Curate, schedule, manage, originate, design, and implement exhibitions.
- Research, interpret, exhibit, and publish the permanent collections.
- Disseminate written and oral information related to the permanent collections and exhibitions.
- Work collaboratively with Registrar in the research of the permanent collections.
- Work collaboratively with Director to improve collections through assessment, deaccessioning, and acquisition, according to policy.
- Manage exhibition budgets
- Cultivate donors and lenders.
- Work in conjunction with the museum’s Education department and the College of Central Florida to advise and support the development and implementation of cultural programming.
- Work with the museum Education staff to train docents.
- Speak publicly to community, college and media in relation to collections and exhibitions as directed.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
Only on-line applications at www.cf.edu/jobs will be accepted. A copy of transcripts from an accredited institution indicating the Bachelor’s degree conferred must be submitted with the electronic application or, alternatively, send via e-mail to email@example.com or fax to 352-873-5885. No phone calls please.
- Ocala, Florida, 34470, United States
- April 23, 2016
- Curator of Exhibitions
- Appleton Museum of Art/College of Central Florida
- 2-3 Years
- $36,985.00 – $46,231.00 (Yearly Salary)