The City of Aurora is hiring a Museum Director for their History Museum and Historic Sites.
This position plans, manages, and coordinates all aspects of the Aurora History Museum and Historic Sites operations, programs, and collections including development of community support, fundraising, marketing, and public relations.
- Provides strategic direction for the Museum, Historic Preservation, and Historic Sites
- Maintains oversight of Museum and Historic Sites activities, including collections/archives and research, education, exhibits, in-house and outreach public programs, security, administration, facility maintenance, marketing, publicity
- Recruits, hires, trains, supervises, and evaluates employees and oversees those who carry out the same duties
- Researches, develops, prepares, executes, manages, and monitors the Museums’ and Historic Sites’ multiple budgets
- Prepares and analyzes statistical data
- Raises funds and solicits private, county, state, and federal support
- Works cooperatively with City departments related to interests of the Museum and Historic Sites
- Serves as liaison to the Aurora Museum Foundation and Historic Preservation Commission liaison
- Establishes relationships with public constituencies and presents Museum and Historic Preservation/Sites information
- Ably represents the museum and the department in public, to include public speaking, giving presentations to community groups, liaison to media, coordinating promotional activities with communications staff, etc.
- Coordinates with department leadership to integrate strategy and programming with department goals
- Collaborate with other programs within the Cultural Services division
- Recommends policies and procedures and provides short and long-term planning
- Establishes standards and guidelines for operations
- Maintains active collection acquisition, research, and archival programs
- Implements City policies, procedures, ordinances, and codes and ensures that applicable federal, state, and local regulations are followed
- Establishes and delivers community outreach programs including the local school districts
- Researches, writes, submits and manages grants
- Performs additional duties as assigned
For more information about the Aurora History Museum please visit: www.AuroraMuseum.org
For more information about the Director’s position and to apply online please visit: http://jobs.auroragov.org/museum-coordinator/job/5929723
**This posting is scheduled to close on Tuesday, May 10th, 2016 at 12:00 noon, however is subject to close at any time without prior notice. Thank you**
Education: Master’s degree preferred in history, museum studies or administration.
Experience: At least 5 years of museum administration in a complex museum organization including financial management, public speaking, public appearances, and experience working with citizen boards and commissions. At least 2 years of supervisory experience involving all levels of museum management. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
Knowledge: Knowledge of principles, practices, and techniques of: museum operations and management, physical facility management, historic preservation, historic interpretation, public programming, budget development and oversight, legal requirements of collection acquisition and management, personnel planning and administration.
- Aurora, Colorado, 80012, United States
- April 23, 2016
- Museum Coordinator (Director)
- Aurora History Museum
- Master’s Degree
- 5-7 Years
- $43,076.00 – $71,076.00 (Yearly Salary)