Position summary: The Curatorial Assistant is a member of the museum’s collections and exhibition department and will assist the Chief Curator of Collections and Exhibitions with the management, access and preservation of the Permanent Collection in support of the museum’s mission. HMH’s Permanent Collection includes art and artifacts, archives/institutional archives and the oral testimonies. The candidate will also assist with the Changing and Traveling Exhibitions program. This position works closely with volunteers, docents, the general public and other museum departments. Holocaust Museum Houston was accredited by the American Alliance of Museums in 2012.
- Registrar/Collections Management duties and responsibilities:
- Process, catalogue and house new and existing collections according to AAM best practices and standards.
- Manage collections loan requests and incoming/outgoing loan agreements.
- Create condition reports and inventories.
- Maintain collections database (Past Perfect).
- Respond to collections and archives related emails and phone calls.
- Handle archival and research requests.
- Serve on Collections Committee: scheduling, meeting minutes and contacting committee members.
- Work with intern on initial digitization of collections in preparation for online catalogue.
- Solve various problems as they arise.
Exhibitions duties and responsibilities:
- Assist with installation and de-installation of the changing exhibits galleries.
- Assist with the writing and editing of exhibition text and labels.
- Assist with curating exhibitions in the library highlighting the museum’s collections.
- Serve on Changing Exhibitions Committee: scheduling, meeting minutes and contacting committee members.
- Respond to exhibition related emails and phone calls.
- Manage the Traveling Exhibits calendar and schedule.
- Experience in project management and organization.
- Ability to work both collaboratively and independently.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products and database management, Past Perfect experience a plus.
- Ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and problem solve with ease.
- Creative, responsible, personable and self-motivated.
Qualifications and experience:
- Education required, minimum Bachelor’s degree.
- At least one year of professional museum experience.
- Experience with professional museum standards and practices, curatorial responsibilities and exhibition preparation preferred.
- Background in history and reading knowledge of German, Hebrew or French preferred.
- Experience with social media, digitization and website applications a plus.
- Able to climb ladders
- Able to move heavy objects and use basic tools
- Houston, Texas, 77004, United States
- May 3, 2016
- Curatorial Assistant
- Holocaust Museum Houston
- Registrar/Collections Management
- 1-2 Years