Art Museum – 41400
Princeton University Art Museum
Collections Information Specialist
The Collections Information Specialist has primary responsibility for two main functions in the Information and Technologies department of the Art Museum. 1) Managing digital images of artwork in the Museums Digital Asset Management system, for delivery to multiple endpoints, and 2) providing expert data management support for collections and exhibitions data, utilizing SQL Server scripts and Crystal Reports.
This is a fulltime term position from 7/18/2016 to 6/30/2020 with a complete benefits package and the possibility of renewal.
The Collections Information division of the Information and Technologies department is a team of six museum information professionals engaged in a five-year collections cataloguing and access project. We are responsible for managing collections and exhibitions information, supporting all museum staff in the use of central information repositories (The Museum System for Collections/Exhibition information and Extensis Portfolio for Digital Asset Management,) and delivering collections and exhibitions information to multiple endpoints including the Museum website, mobile tours, exhibition microsites, print publications and social media.
The Collections Information Specialist reports to the Manager of Collections Information.
The Collections Information Specialist:
– Manages art images in DAMS and linking images of works of art to TMS
– Maps descriptive metadata from TMS to DAMS
– Is responsible for batch uploading of object information into TMS in support of new acquisitions and exhibitions.
– Is actively involved in extracting data from central systems for delivery to multiple endpoints
– Takes a leadership role in developing custom report solutions to support all Museum workflows, working closely with Registrars, Curators, Preparators, and Marketing staff.
– Holds primary responsibility for creating new views and tables from TMS data to populate Museum online collections features.
– Other duties as required.
– Demonstrable expertise in SQL Server scripting.
– Expertise in museum and library data standards
– Bachelor’s degree in Museum studies, Information science, Computer science or related field with proven interest in cultural heritage data management
– Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
– Ability to work autonomously yet also as integral part of a close-knit team.
– SQL Server, Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Office Applications, MySQL
The final candidate will be required to complete a background check successfully.
– 2 years’ experience working with Museum Collections Information systems and Museum data
About the Museum:
With collecting origins dating to the 1750s, the Princeton University Art Museum is one of the finest art museums in the country. Formally established in 1882, its collections feature over 92,000 works of art ranging from ancient to contemporary art and spanning the globe. Its collections of Chinese painting, the art of the ancient Americas, and photography are widely regarded as being among the world’s richest. A private institution serving the public good, the Museum is committed to serving the University, local and regional communities, and beyond through a dynamic program of temporary exhibitions, new scholarship, and innovative programming. By collaborating with experts across many disciplines, fostering sustained study of original works of art, and uniting scholarship with broad accessibility, the Museum contributes to the development of critical thinking and visual literacy at Princeton University and enhances the civic fabric of our nation.
Administrative or Professional
Actual Hours per Week, if casual hourly
Pay Rate, if Casual Hourly
Work Schedule, if other than standard hours
Eligible for Overtime
Instructions for Applying
Documents which can be associated with this posting
Proposed Start Date
End Date, if a Term Appointment
Comments related to end date:
Princeton University is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Location:Princeton, New Jersey, 08544, United States
Posted:May 10, 2016
Position Title:Collections Information Specialist
Company Name:Princeton University