Assistant Director of Visitor Services – The John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art (Sarasota, FL)
Job ID: 40235 Location: Sarasota, FL
Full/Part Time: Full-Time Regular/Temporary: Regular
All applicants must apply online through Florida State University. To access this posting directly visit: https://jobs.omni.fsu.edu/psc/sprdhr_er/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=40235&PostingSeq=1
The Ringling is the State Art Museum of Florida and is administered by Florida State University. It features an historic mansion, art museum, circus museum, historic theater, and reference library, situated on 66 acres of bay front property in Sarasota.
John Ringling built the original 21-gallery museum, modeled on the Florentine Uffizi Gallery, to house his treasure trove of paintings and art objects, highlighted by his collection of Old Masters, including Velazquez, Poussin, van Dyke and Rubens. John opened the Museum of Art to the public in 1931, two years after the death of his beloved Mable, saying he hoped it would “promote education and art appreciation, especially among our young people.”
Today, The Ringling*s mission is to serve as the legacy of John and Mable Ringling – a place of art, architecture, and circus in an environment that inspires, educates, entertains and serves over 400,000 guests annually. The collections have expanded to include Contemporary, Asian, and Circus art, as well as visiting exhibitions from museums around the world, supporting educational programs, and vibrant performance programing in our Historic Asolo Theater. For more information please visit www.ringling.org
This Position oversees the visitor experience at The Ringling. Responsible for the following operational areas:
Visitor Services, Museum Stores, Admissions, and the Historic Asolo Theater Box Office and Front of House.
Examples of Responsibilities:
- Visitor Experience: Surveys and recommends solutions or policy changes to greater enhance the visitor experience. Develops policies and procedures related to all aspects of the visitor experience cross departmentally and in conjunction with Senior Staff to implement strategies to enhance the visitor experience campus-wide. Recommends changes to Ringling website, online ticketing and other visitor informational tools as appropriate. Incumbent would be required to work occasional weekends and attend evening and weekend events.
- Staff Management: Supervises Admissions, Visitor Services, Museum Stores, and Historic Asolo Theater Box Office and Front of House staff. Includes hiring, training, discipline, and performance evaluations.
- Interviews, trains, and assigns volunteers as needed. Participates in the development and presentation of staff customer service and frontline training.
- Visitor Analysis: Develops strategies for analyzing Ringling audience. Recommends and implements visitor surveys, capture and reporting strategies and methods and reports such findings to Senior Staff on a regular basis
Anticipated Salary Range: Low to mid $50,000’s/year + Florida state benefits available.
Typical schedule is Monday – Friday 8:00am – 5:00pm. The incumbent will often be expected to work evenings and weekends to meet the needs of the museum.
Background Check Requirements: This position requires successful completion of a criminal history background check to include fingerprinting.
Pay Plan: This is an A&P (Administrative and Professional) position.
How To Apply
If qualified and interested in a specific job opening as advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu.
1. Go to http://jobs.fsu.edu
2. Click on “Browse Job Openings”
3. Select “Sarasota” From Locations
4. Click on the name of the desired posting
5. After reading the complete posting, if interested and qualified click “Apply now”
6. At this point follow the prompts on the screen
For more information, or for technical assistance, please contact Ringling Human Resources at 941-359-5700 ext. 2605 or email@example.com.
Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include all work history up to ten years, and all education details even if attaching a resume.
Equal Employment Opportunity: An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer. FSU’s Equal Opportunity Statement can be viewed at: http://www.hr.fsu.edu/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf
- A Bachelor’s degree and four years relevant experience; or a combination of relevant post high school education and experience equal to eight years
- A minimum of four years’ supervisory experience in customer service, attractions management or related front-line experience
- Experience in applying the principles and practices to strategically align tasks and people with organizational goals and objectives
- Experience in evaluation, developing, and implementing processes. Experience in compiling, interpreting, reporting and/or editing information
- Skill in multitasking
- Effective oral and written communication skills with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Ability to meet the physical requirements of the position to include the ability to traverse significant distances around the 66 acre estate and ascend and descend stairs
- A valid Florida driver’s license or the ability to obtain prior to hire
- Experience working with volunteers.
- Experience with admissions, ticketing, and/or cash-handling operations
- Skill in use of Microsoft software to include Excel, Word and Outlook
- Budget management experience
- Experience with website content management systems
- Experience with PeopleSoft software systems
- Sarasota, Florida, 34243, United States
- May 17, 2016
- Assistant Director of Visitor Services
- The John and Mable Ringling Musuem of Art
- Visitor Services/Customer Service
- 3-5 Years