ABOUT NEW MUSEUM: Founded in 1977, the New Museum is the only museum devoted exclusively to contemporary art in Manhattan, and one of the leading contemporary art museums in the world. A major cultural destination, the Museum attracts over 400,000 visitors annually, and over 3 million online visitors. The Museum’s mission of “New Art, New Ideas” distinguishes it as a responsive institution that fosters innovation, collaboration, and community engagement. As it approaches its 40th anniversary and 10th year on the Bowery, the Museum has launched an $80 million campaign to expand its physical space and programs and double its endowment. More than half the goal has been pledged to date.
FUNDING: The New Museum has a current operating budget of $12 million. The Development Department is responsible for raising approximately $8 million annually, in addition to working on the capital campaign.
THE OPPORTUNITY: The Chief Advancement Officer will work with senior leadership of the Museum to develop and set into motion a strategic and comprehensive plan to support operating and capital needs of the institution. S/he will establish priorities and objectives; create fundraising strategies; identify current and prospective individual, corporate, foundation, and government prospects; cultivate positive relations with trustees, donors, and prospects; solicit major donors; and supervise fundraising events and the event rental business.
The successful candidate will have significant experience in a similar capacity, an excellent reputation with individual donors in the cultural sphere, strong managerial skills, attention to detail, knowledge of and passion for contemporary art and the New Museum’s mission. A proven track record of meeting goals and expanding support, particularly in the individual giving and corporate arenas, is essential. Unique to the New Museum is its fast-paced, nimble culture coupled with aspirational goals and objectives. The most successful team members are those who bring a creative, entrepreneurial, and high energy approach.
The CAO reports to the Museum’s Director and leads a full-time team of eight.
- Demonstrated success leading advancement efforts for a cultural organization or museum.
- Proven leadership and management capabilities.
- A genuine passion for the New Museum mission.
- Demonstrated track record of achieving development targets of at least $5 million annually.
- Knowledge of the NY philanthropic community as well as the broader global contemporary art communities.
- Capital campaign experience.
- Ability to create, manage, and present budgets.
- Self-motivated, results driven, detail oriented, and adaptable.
- Superior communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability and willingness to attend evening/weekend events on a regular basis and to travel, as required.
- Bachelor’s degree is required, an advanced degree is preferred.
- New York, New York, 10002, United States
- May 19, 2016
- Chief Advancement Officer
- The New Museum
- Over 10 Years