Director of Philanthropy
Category: Development – Full Time/Permanent/Exempt
Reports to President/CEO
Bok Tower Gardens, a National Historic Landmark in Lake Wales, Florida, founded in 1929, is seeking a Director of Philanthropy to manage its institutional fundraising and membership programs. Having successfully completed a major capital campaign, the Gardens will open new visitor spaces, including a children’s garden, in the fall of 2016. The Director will have the opportunity to grow membership, increase donor engagement and accelerate contributed giving by individuals and institutions. Building from the 2016-2020 Long Range Plan, the Director will work with the President/CEO, a Development Committee and Board of Directors, as a member of the senior management team, to establish strategic plans and goals for grants, annual giving, planned giving, membership, and special initiatives. The Director serves as liaison with other departments and units concerning grant coordination, development, and stewardship. The Director is responsible for overall leadership of the development and membership programs, including supervising department staff and volunteers.
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits. Position open until filled.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree or higher a plus
- CFRE (Certified Fund Raising Executive) designation a plus
- Minimum of five (5) years previous experience with successful implementation of annual fund, membership program, capital campaigns, grant writing and donor cultivation and personal solicitation
- Proven track record (5-10 years) in researching, cultivating, soliciting and closing major gift prospects in the $10K+ range
- Demonstrate success in a variety of fundraising venues
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, mentor staff, problem solve, analyze data, manage budget
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal)
- Demonstrated computer proficiency in donor management software and Microsoft Office Suite
- Working knowledge of Altru software a plus
- Knowledge and appreciation of gardens, music, and nature a plus
- Lake Wales, Florida, 33853, United States
- May 20, 2016
- Director of Philanthropy
- Bok Tower Gardens
- 5-7 Years
Established in 1929, by Edward W. Bok as a gift to the American people, the 50-acre garden was designed by noted landscape architect Frederick Law Olmstead Jr. to be a contemplative and informal woodland setting. Acres of ferns, palms, oaks and pines fashion a lush backdrop of flowering foliage and the spectacular seasonal color of azaleas, camellias and magnolias showcase an ever-changing work of art.
The 205-foot marble and coquina Singing Tower is the focal point of the gardens with tile mosaics, animal carvings and custom iron-work. Dedicated by President Calvin Coolidge and listed as a National Historic Landmark, carillon music is played daily.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places and acquired in 1970, Pinewood Estate and garden is one of the finest examples of Mediterranean=style architecture in the Southeast.
Today, this is a place to enjoy Bok’s love of beauty, nature and music. Programs and events are offered throughout the year to learners of all ages. Discover the story of Edward W. Bok and the Gardens in the Visitor Center historical museum.