Come join a team of dedicated staff at an exceptional time in Smithsonian history, as the Institution continues with a comprehensive strategic plan, expands the programming, educational, and scholarly activity of its museums and research centers, and completes its very first Institution-wide fundraising campaign.
The Smithsonian is building a model fundraising organization, one that will meet the growing needs of this unique organization and offer excellent professional opportunities. This position offers exciting opportunities for the successful candidate to make a significant impact on the future of the Smithsonian. There is no better time to join this amazing Institution.
The Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory (SAO) is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Marketing Manager. The position will:
- Develop and implement a marketing strategy aimed at communicating SAO’s programs, services and activities.
- Assist in the development of fundraising messaging, communications and campaign marketing strategies for current and prospective donors.
- Analyze trends and develop marketing strategies, tools and materials to promote and raise awareness of SAO’s identity, research, activities and fundraising goals.
- Oversee publication of newsletters, fundraising materials, marketing brochures, pamphlets and handouts to ensure an integrated approach to constituency and donor communications.
- Oversee the implementation of web redesign.
- Serve as technical manager of online giving presence for SAO.
- Plan and execute online campaigns for fundraising, donor cultivation and stewardship.
Qualified candidates will successfully demonstrate strong communications skills, an ability to successfully manage multiple deadlines, superior organization and customer service skills as well as a thirst for learning. Knowledge of principles, methods, practices and techniques of marketing, public communications, social media, and public relations strategies to reach more audiences required. Demonstrated experience in fundraising strategy, communications and technical knowledge of digital fundraising practices and techniques is necessary. Experience in a fundraising capacity in a large, complex non-profit organization preferred.
The Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory (SAO) is a research institute of the Smithsonian Institution. It is joined with the Harvard College Observatory to form the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics (CfA). The CfA is the world’s largest and most diverse center for the study of the Universe, comprising the astronomy and astrophysics programs of two renowned scientific institutions: the Smithsonian Institution and Harvard University.
The Smithsonian Institution is a unique complex of 19 museums and galleries, the National Zoological Park, and nine research centers. The Smithsonian is a national and world treasure and is dedicated to its founding mission, “the increase and diffusion of knowledge.” Its exhibitions, programs, collections, and outreach touch the lives of millions of Americans every year, as well as many who visit us from abroad.
The Smithsonian Institution offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive package of benefits. This is not a Federal Position, but has similar requirements and benefits. Interested candidates should submit their resumes and a cover letter to email@example.com by June 16, 2016.
The Smithsonian Institution is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
- Cambridge, Massachusetts, 02138, United States
- May 21, 2016
- Marketing Manager
- Smithsonian Institution, Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory