As the largest historical society in the nation with a reputation for being a leader in using the power of history to transform lives, the Minnesota Historical Society (MNHS) is seeking a progressive, innovative Senior Director, Earned Income who will work collaboratively to create a bold, exciting new future for the organization and keep history fresh and relevant in a changing world.
Founded in 1849 and headquartered in St. Paul, Minnesota, the MNHS is re-envisioning its executive leadership team, culture and organizational structure to more closely align with and execute on strategic priorities, shape operating standards and institutional policy, and develop management talent.
The Senior Director, Earned Income is a senior level position that will provide executive leadership for increasing sales and earned income across MNHS operations, enhancing the MNHS brand, reputation and growth in the market and ensuring excellent guest services. The Senior Director will be responsible for driving integration and alignment among all earned revenue-related areas; leading short- and long-term planning for guest services and earned revenue generation. This position reports to the Director & CEO, is a member of the Director’s direct reports team and helps set the direction and policies for MNHS.
The Senior Director represents the MNHS and manages its relationships with public and private organizations, government agencies, and other key constituent groups, seeking opportunities to build partnerships and further the accomplishment of MNHS strategic objectives.
The Senior Director provides overall direction for placing, training, supervising and motivating assigned staff, interns, volunteers and fellows. Ensure compliance with MNHS policies and procedures.
1) Provide vision, leadership and strategies for earned income generation alignment across the organization.
2) Provide leadership and management oversight to enhance the MNHS brand and reputation, maximize current revenue opportunities, lead the charge for new opportunities, align marketing and sales functions to revenue strategy and maintain excellent guest services across all MNHS venues.
3) Actively participate in the development of annual, two-year and long-term plans and budgets for MNHS’s programs.
4) Work with the Director on matters relating to the MNHS Executive Council and Executive Committees.
5) Represent the MNHS and manage its relationships with public and private organizations, government agencies, and other key constituent groups, seeking opportunities to build partnerships and further the accomplishment of MNHS strategic objectives.
6) Provide overall direction for placing, training, supervising and motivating assigned staff, interns, volunteers and fellows. Ensure compliance with MNHS policies and procedures.
7) Represent the MNHS and attend local, regional, national and international conferences of museum and historical professional organizations.
- A MBA or advanced degree in marketing or a related area is preferred. A BA degree or equivalent in business administration, marketing or related area with extensive experience in these fields is also acceptable.
- Successful and progressive sales experience. Demonstrated ability to lead and manage multiple revenue generating functions.
- Demonstrated ability to set and achieve revenue targets.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage multiple revenue generating functions.
- Broad knowledge of museum trends and marketing.
- Demonstrated ability to develop a high functioning team culture among groups of diverse, talented individuals.
- Ability to work with MNHS staff, MNHS Executive Council members and broad range of constituents.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to lead and work as a member of a team.
- Mastery of supervisory skills and the ability to manage activities through others.
- Ability to identify, interpret and apply appropriate laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of the MNHS and its programs, including the MNHS charter, by-laws, mission statement and institutional goals.
Salary: The minimum salary is $7,839 per month plus benefits. The final salary will be determined based on the experience and qualifications of the successful candidate.
The Minnesota Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer
How to apply
Review of candidate materials will begin immediately with a deadline of June 24, 2016. Please email your application to MNHSSearch@gmail.com. The application should include a resume with contact information for at least three professional references and a letter of interest addressed to Dr. Brent Glass, c/o Bryan and Jordan Consulting LLC, 1921 Sunderland Place NW, Washington, DC 20036.
Hard copies of application packages may be mailed:
Dr. Brent D. Glass
c/o Bryan and Jordan Consulting LLC
1921 Sunderland Place NW
Washington, DC 20036
- St. Paul, Minnesota, 55101, United States
- May 26, 2016
- SENIOR DIRECTOR–Earned Income, Guest Services, and Sales
- MINNESOTA HISTORICAL SOCIETY