The Artspace presents an annual series of 4 exhibitions with accompanying publications, 2 public art commissions for the Artspace Project Wall, a visiting artist program, and a range of public programs to introduce and support new work by regional, national, and international artists. The Assistant Curator will support and expand a balanced and thoughtful vision for presenting innovative contemporary art programming and engaging audiences.
We are looking for a dedicated and energetic person who is familiar with all aspects of curatorial work and who is committed to working with contemporary artists and engaging audiences through direct and meaningful interactions. As a dynamic teaching museum, we are looking for a skilled and motivated collaborator with exceptional oral and written communication abilities, strong leadership qualities, a commitment to excellence, and the capacity to inspire others.
Working closely with the Director/Chief Curator and the Manager of Operations, the Assistant Curator will play a lead role in engaging and expanding audiences through public programming, managing digital and social media content, and developing and managing curatorial projects as part of the artistic program.
An ideal candidate will be prepared to:
- Contribute to a dynamic programmatic vision that values diversity, global perspectives, innovation, and experimentation in all disciplines and create an accessible and inviting environment that supports the creation, presentation, and appreciation of contemporary art.
- Add value to the regional arts ecology through developing and implementing unique programs and partnerships, including meaningful opportunities for KCAI students, faculty, alumni, and regional artists.
- Network and engage with the art community, regionally and nationally, to provide leadership, mentorship, and advocacy to support artists, art educators, and arts professionals.
Education Experience and Requirements:
M.A. in Art History, Curatorial or Museum Studies or M.F.A. preferred or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
About the Artspace: Dedicated to artists, art, and ideas since 1999, the H&R Block Artspace at the Kansas City Art Institute presents exhibitions of contemporary art and a range of public programs for a growing audience of students, educators, artists, arts enthusiasts and the general public.
About KCAI: The Kansas City Art Institute is a four-year, independent and accredited college of art and design founded in 1885, and located in the cultural heart of metropolitan Kansas City, Missouri. The college enrolls over 600 undergraduate students regionally, nationally, and internationally. For more information, please visit www.kcai.edu. KCAI offers an exceptional benefits package to full-time staff including 100% employer paid insurance and a 5% retirement match for eligible participants.
Applications deadline and procedures: This position is open until July 8 or until filled.
Apply by email to : firstname.lastname@example.org
Attach to the email in PDF format only:
Letter of interest
3 Writing samples demonstrating range
Documentation of curatorial projects
Salary expectation and salary history
List of 3 professional references we may contact
Complete application submissions will be acknowledged by return email. Questions may be directed to: email@example.com.
Kansas City Art Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Kansas City, Missouri, 64111, United States
- May 27, 2016
- Assistant Curator
- Kansas City Art Institute
- Master’s Degree