The Isamu Noguchi Foundation and Garden Museum seeks a Finance Manager. Reporting to the Director, the Finance Manager will oversee and maintain the financial operations of the Museum; provide the Museum’s management with reports and analysis of the Museum’s work; and develop procedures and standard to maintain the financial wellbeing of the Museum. The Finance Manager will work with all Museum departments as well as with outside auditors and funding agencies concerned with the Museum’s finances.
About the Isamu Noguchi Foundation and Garden Museum
The Noguchi Museum – chartered as The Isamu Noguchi Foundation and Garden Museum – was founded and designed by the acclaimed Japanese-American artist Isamu Noguchi (1904-1988) for the display of his life’s work. Opened in 1985 and located in the vibrant neighborhood of Long Island City, Queens, the Museum is housed in a converted industrial building and is itself considered to be one of Noguchi’s greatest works. Today, the mission of the Museum is to advance the understanding and appreciation of Noguchi’s art and legacy. It manages the world’s most extensive collection of Noguchi’s sculptures, works on paper, architectural models, and designs, in addition to his complete archives. Through its rich collection, exhibitions, and programming, the Museum facilitates scholarship and learning for audiences of all ages and backgrounds.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee and manage the Museum’s institutional budget of $4.8 million and its investment portfolio of $35 million, as well as a forthcoming capital and endowment campaign budget and financial framework.
- Work with departments and management to forecast the Museum’s financial needs and develop yearly budget. Prepare reports and monitor procedures for departments to work within budget.
- Review all income and expenses to ensure proper allocation of both to the right departments and timely payment of Museum’s obligations.
- Ensure proper distribution of funds to maintain cash flow in the Museum’s accounts.
- Track and document adherence to Museum’s restricted funds and expenses.
- Track and process international income and expenses related to the Museum’s merchandise and royalties, requiring knowledge of international currencies and exchange rates.
- Supervise all aspects of the Museum’s payroll and the administration of employee benefits.
- Set up financial procedures for use of the Museum’s funds and ensure correct representation of the data in the Museum’s financial software.
- Act as a liaison with the Museum’s investment firm and the Finance Committee of the Board of Trustees to track and report on the Museum’s investment assets.
- Oversee the Museum’s Design Merchandising department on inventory, receivables, and reconciliation with the Museum’s financials.
Financial Analysis and Reporting
- Review and Analyze the Museum financial activities to identify trends in income and expenses and changes to Museum’s budget and recommend course of action to meet them.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports for review by and discussion with the Museum management, Board of Trustees, and Government agencies.
- Work with Development department on grant budgets and prepare financial reports to grant funders.
- Prepare for annual audit and work with Museum’s auditors and accounting firms to provide information necessary to prepare the Museum’s tax returns.
The Finance Manager is a full-time position located in the administrative offices of The Noguchi Museum in Long Island City, Queens. The Noguchi Museum offers a competitive salary and a full benefits package. The Noguchi Museum is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, citizenship status, veteran status, disability or any other criterion specified by federal, state or local laws, in the administration of its employment policy.
Please send resume, cover letter, and salary requirements via mail or email to:
Finance Manager Position
The Noguchi Museum
32-37 Vernon Boulevard
Long Island City, NY 11106
firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Finance Manager Position”
- A bachelor’s or master degree in finance, accounting, business administration or related field is required. While CPA is not necessary, knowledge and solid understanding of nonprofit accounting principles and financial statistics are important.
- Proficiency in QuickBooks and Excel is a must for this position
- At least 5 years of experience as Finance Manager or similar position, preferably in arts organization or other non-profit.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills
- Long Island City, New York, 11106, United States
- May 27, 2016
- Finance Manager
- The Isamu Noguchi Foundation and Garden Museum
- 5-7 Years