The Carpenter Center for Visual Arts (CCVA), which houses public exhibitions and the Harvard Department of Visual and Environmental Studies, is looking for dedicated work-study students to serve as Student Gallery Attendants. The Student Gallery Attendant will greet visitors to the building, monitor the safety of artwork and visitors, and assist with operations.
As the first point-of-contact for the university community and general public, the Student Gallery Attendant is responsible for welcoming and providing guidance for visitors to the Carpenter Center and Department of Visual and Environmental Studies. He/she/they provides general information about the exhibitions and artists on view to create a warm, positive, informative experience for CCVA visitors.
The Gallery Attendant is an essential part of the CCVA team, integrated into the workings of a dynamic, experimental, and supportive art and educational institution.
Student Gallery Attendants are responsible for:
• Greeting visitors and providing assistance and information on an array of topics, including exhibits, general wayfinding, and building amenities
• Providing a welcoming presence and ensuring accessibility for all visitors
• Monitoring visitors in the galleries
• Maintaining accurate counts of building attendance
• Providing logistical support for events and lectures, including Open Studios
• Other operational tasks as assigned by the staff of CCVA and the Department of Visual and Environmental Studies
You’re Good At:
• Talking with people and solving problems
• Being on time, reliable, and professional
• Committing to a regular schedule
• Position available for federal work-study students only
• Shifts held at the Carpenter Center at 24 Quincy St. in Cambridge
• Shifts typically held as 2.5-5 hour slots between noon and 5 pm, Tuesday – Friday Minimum: 5 hours per week, Maximum: 10 hours per week
• Pay rate: $12.50 per hour with opportunity for future pay increases
• Interest in art, film, museums, or education a plus
To apply, please email your resume and brief cover letter to Erin Holder at email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed until February 4, 2019.