Lowell National Historical Park is a unit of the National Park Service (NPS) located in Lowell, Massachusetts. Lowell is one of the most significant early American industrial cities and the Boott Cotton Mills Museum is a nationally recognized museum.
We’re seeking a loom fixer to run and repair the historic machinery in the Boott Cotton Mills Museum weave room exhibit which recreates the look of an early-20th century textile factory. It showcases 90 Draper Model E looms, bobbin winders, and other machinery.
Job responsibilities include:
- Wear historic costume
- Repair, maintain, and safely operate looms (circa 1920, lacking modern safety mechanisms), bobbin winders, and line shafting for museum exhibits and public displays.
- Maintain records and schedules for maintenance and lubrication of weaving machinery and related textile equipment.
- Receive shipments and unload textile supplies with the use of a fork lift.
- Interact with museum visitors and demonstrate NPS interpretive competencies.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Possess a strong safety mindset to work with very dangerous machinery.
- Experience maintaining power looms, bobbin winders, cloth inspection machines, tying machines, and line shafting.
- Experience interacting with diverse public audiences.
- Ability to operate forklift.
- Ability to tolerate standing for long periods of time, high machine noise (with ear plugs), and lifting and carrying objects of various weights and sizes.
- Medical insurance
- Generous paid time off
- Relocation assistance offered
Job Type: Full time
Salary: Starts at $22.75 per Hour