Service and Outreach

During the 2020-2021 academic year, I organized two reading seminars at Tufts: one on Bass-Serre theory, and one on the Geometrization Conjecture.

In December 2020, I joined the Tufts Math Department’s DEI Committee after having participated in an Antiracism in STEM Education seminar run by the Education Department at Tufts.

For the 2017-2018 and 2018-2019 academic years, I was the President of the Organization of Graduate Students in Mathematics (OGSM) . OGSM has three essential goals: to foster community within the department, to provide professional development opportunities, and to serve as a liaison between faculty and graduate students. To that end, I invited speakers to our bi-weekly meetings to talk about research within the department, how to prepare an academic job application, and the transition into industrial jobs, among other topics. I also oversaw a mentorship program for first year students, helped organize a Pi Day math competition for local high school students, and hosted other activities to build departmental community.

During the 2016-2017 academic year, I was the Treasurer of OGSM.

From January 2017 to December 2019, I led a PROMYS Math Circle, first at Boston Preparatory Charter Public School in Hyde Park, then Somerville High School, and finally through a virtual format. I developed challenging exploratory problem sets – on topics ranging from introductory number theory, to metric geometry and logic problems – and led a small group of students from underrepresented backgrounds. The program helped students explore math in a creative way, sharing their ideas from their seats and at the board, building their confidence.

During Summer 2017 I led an undergraduate in a project on linear programming as part of the Tufts Directed Reading Program. As my mentee, Astrid Weng, was an economics major, our goal was to understand a few important applications of linear programming. The project culminated in a colloquium talk given by three undergraduates in the program (the most widely-attended colloquium each year).

I was an organizer of the Tufts Directed Reading Program the following year in 2018.