Early Assurance to the Tufts University School of Dental Medicine
For a very select group of sophomores, the Tufts Dental School offers an opportunity for early acceptance into dental school. To be eligible, students must complete two semesters of general chemistry and two of introductory biology by summer of sophomore year. Qualified applicants need to perform extremely well in all their academic work, and should demonstrate a mature, informed motivation for a dental career. If accepted, a student will still complete the remaining two undergraduate years before beginning the four-year dental school curriculum. Accepted students are expected to maintain the same level of performance in their course work during their junior and senior years.
- To apply for early assurance, you are expected to complete two semesters of biology and two semesters of chemistry by the end of sophomore year.
- If admitted, you must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.4 and a minimum cumulative science GPA of 3.3. If you do not meet the minimum GPA requirements, the admissions committee may elect to withdraw you from the program.
- Remaining courses include one semester of organic chemistry with laboratory, two semesters of physics with laboratory, biochemistry and two biology electives numbered above 13 and 14.
- We strongly encourage you to take all prerequisite courses at Tufts. Special approval must be given for prerequisite courses completed at another institution.
- You will need to take the DAT exam and will be expected to receive scores of at least 18 on the Academic Average, Perceptual Ability, Reading Comprehension, and Total Science sections.
- To receive final acceptance to TUSDM, you must meet all the same requirements of admitted students for your class year. These include a criminal background check and completed dean’s Certification of Disciplinary History Form.
For more details on the Early Assurance program and the application process, visit the links below:
Programs Through Pre-Dental Society
Clinical Shadowing Program
Students are encouraged to take advantage of the Alumni Shadowing Directory to get clinical experience with dentistry techniques and patient interactions through assisting a Tufts Dental Alumni with his/her patients for a day. The directory contains a list of Tufts Dental Alumni who are practicing near Tufts and are easily accessible via public transportation. To obtain a copy of the directory, students must complete and submit a consent form and an immunization form to Amanda Stone.
The purpose of this program held every Spring is to expose underrepresented minority students to the wide array of careers in dentistry as well as provide an in-depth look for students who have already expressed an interest in the field. During the day, students learn about requirements and prerequisites to enter dental school, are exposed to PAT instruction, engage in a student panel and students participate in mock interviews. There is also time allotted in the program for hands on activities that will allow students to take alginate impressions on typodonts.
Outside Summer Programs
Many of our current and past pre-dental members have participated in the following programs, and they come highly recommended.
Summer Medical and Dental Education Program (SMDEP) is a free (full tuition, housing, and meals) six-week summer academic enrichment program that offers freshmen and sophomore college students intensive and personalized medical and dental school preparation. View website
Gateway to Dentistry is a 2-week interactive program that afford each participant a birds-eye exposure to the various aspects of the practice of dentistry at the New Jersey Dental School in Newark, New Jersey. View website
Summer Internship Program (SIP) at the NIH provides an opportunity to spend the summer working side-by-side with some of the leading scientists in the world in an environment devoted exclusively to biomedical research. (Requirements: Age 16+, U.S. citizen or permanent resident, enrolled in high school or U.S. college/university or U.S. medical or dental school.) View website