The Alex de Waal Collection includes materials related to the work of the African Union High-Level Panel on Darfur (AUPD) as well as some background materials he initially produced in his private capacity for limited circulation. Below are some highlights.
- Darfur Peace Agreement (May 2006)
- Alex de Waal’s monthly briefings on the evolving situation in Darfur and Chad from October 2005 – October 2006, originally prepared for restricted circulation. Titled, “Sudan: Analysis and Prospects” and organzied by date, these briefings represent de Waal’s personal assessment of the risks and opportunities for peace in Sudan during this critical year. Access a sample from September 2006.
- “Explaining the Darfur Peace Agreement—May 2006: An Open letter to those members of the movements who are still reluctant to sign from the African Union moderators” (May 2006). [pdf]
- “Explaining the Darfur Peace Agreement” drafted by Alex de Waal (June 29, 2006).
The majority of the Sudan Peace Archive materials relate to efforts to mediate final issues between Sudan and South Sudan resulting from the implementation of the Comprehensive Peace Agreement signed in 2005 and the decision of southerners to form an independent state of South Sudan (2011). Below are a sample of documents and key speeches available exclusively through the WPF archive.
- Omer Omer al Bashir’s speech in Juba on 4 January 2011 [Unofficial Translation].
- Thabo Mbeki’s speech in Juba, draft dated January 6, 2011.
- Thabo Thabo Mbeki’s speech in Khartoum, January 5, 2011.
- Declaration of Principles, May 20, 1994.
- Agreement between the Government of Sudan and the Government of South Sudan on Border Security and the Joint Political and Security Mechanisms, June 29, 2011.
- Juba Declaration Declaration on Unity and Integration between the Sudan People’s Liberation Army (SPLA) and the South Sudan Defense Forces (SSDF), January 8, 2006.
The above documents are located on the WPF website, for access to the complete collection of publicly available documents, visit Tufts Digital Library.