Yellow Team 2016
Stephen Dennison, Steven Santos, Nicola Thomson
Optical Detection Device for the Visually Impaired
Our device guides a visually impaired user through an indoor environment using a sensing device and an Apple iPhone. Visually impaired individuals have difficulty navigating to indoor locations for the first time and current solutions lack independence from unreliable indoor sources such as GPS or WiFi. Our device tracks the user’s orientation and distance, and the iPhone application provides auditory feedback to guide the user. Our solution will give users independence and a higher quality of life.
The sensing device is mobile and worn on the user’s waist. It includes an accelerometer to gather g-force measurements in 3 axes and a gyroscope to gather rotation. These data points are processed to determine the user’s number of steps and when they turn. The sensing device is wirelessly connected via Bluetooth to the user’s iPhone, which then communicates navigational information through audio. It tells the user when to turn and how far to walk.
At the time of publishing, Team Yellow’s project could detect a user’s steps and instruct them when to turn. The project has an interface activated by taps that does not require sight to use. Features that should be implemented in the future are a coded floor map of Halligan Hall, a proper stride calibration system to ensure the proper distance is mapped to each step, and a system for correcting users when they are no longer on the proper path.
Related Tech Notes
- Indoor Navigation for the Visually Impaired Using the Apple iPhone (pdf) by Stephen Dennison.
- Assistive Wearable Technologies for the Visually Impaired (pdf) by Steven Santos.
Yellow Team Project Poster
- Senior Capstone Projects Summary for the 2015-16 Academic Year > Yellow Team 2016
Search the Handbook:
- Introduction and Acknowledgements
- Senior Capstone Projects Summary for the 2019-20 Academic Year
- Senior Capstone Projects Summary for the 2018-19 Academic Year
- Senior Capstone Projects Summary for the 2017-18 Academic Year
- Senior Capstone Projects Summary for the 2016-17 Academic Year
- Senior Capstone Projects Summary for the 2015-16 Academic Year
- Senior Capstone Projects Summary for the 2014-15 Academic Year
- Senior Capstone Projects Summary for the 2013-14 Academic Year
- Senior Capstone Projects Summary for the 2012-13 Academic Year
- 1. Design Process
- 2. Management
- 3. Technologies
- 4. Communications And Life Skills
- 5. Tech Notes
Top TopicsApple iPhone Assistive Technologies Big Data Bridge Inspection Business Strategy Communications Computer Vision Consumer Technologies Cough detection Creativity & Innovation Data Analysis Design for X Emergency resource management Emerging Technologies Encryption Engineering Economics Ethics GPS Indoor Navigation Industrial Technologies Internet of Things Interpersonal Skills Legal & Intellectual Property Marketing & Customer Research Mobile Applications OpenCV Product Development Life Cycle Product Liability Prototyping & Manufacturing Recommender System Remote Keyless Entry Risk Risk Management Security Sensors Signal Processing Societal Impact Synthetic Aperture Radar Tuberculosis UAV Drones UAV Motion Unmanned Technologies Virtual Reality Visual Impairment Wireless