This position involves teaching museum education programs (off-site and on site),and assisting at Family Festivals and birthday parties. This is a part-time position (estimated 20 hours per week). Weekend availability is required. This position offers the opportunity to gain experience working at a major cultural institution in New Jersey.
- Teach interdisciplinary education programs to student groups of all needs and abilities, from Pre-K through Grade 12, as well as adults and senior citizens;
- Work with the School Group Coordinator on various scheduled outreach and on site programs.
- Update school programs and develop new programming based on Core Curriculum Standards as needed.
- Assist the Birthday Party Coordinator by conducting education programs for children’s parties and prepping materials.
- Motivate Museum visitors to make discoveries and connections to their lives and the world around them;
- Organize approximately 3 Family Festivals per year;
- Assist on Tot Tour Fridays and other education programming for children and families on site;
- Assist with developing marketing and assessment materials/activities;
- Other administrative and education duties as assigned.
- Supervise interns and volunteers who assist at education programs and Family Festivals.
The successful candidate will bring a commitment to conducting creative education programs with an entrepreneurial spirit. The qualified candidate will have a minimum of 1 year related experience conducting arts education or hands -on science programs for youth, object-based learning, gallery or museum based teaching.
- Strong knowledge of either art history or the natural sciences is required;
- Outgoing and energetic:
- Passionate about the dynamic role of museums;
- Forward thinking, well organized, creative self-starter;
- Open to collaborating and learning from others;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and attention to detail;
- Public Presentation and demonstration skills;
- Working Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point & Publisher)
- A BA is required. An MA in either Arts and Science Education is preferred.
Email cover letter, resume, and three references (as one pdf) firstname.lastname@example.org
Indicate “Museum Educator” in subject line. No phone inquiries or mail applications. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
The Morris Museum is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.