This role will report to the Assistant Director, Education
The Museum Educator is responsible for a unique museum studies partnership with grades Pre-K through 2 in an underserved public elementary school adjacent to the Museum. This is a full-time [one year contract, with potential to extend] position dedicated to the facilitation of the entire partnership, including planning with administration and staff, teaching students and teachers at the school and the Museum, coordinating all activities and providers, scheduling, curating the year-end exhibition, and maintaining strong communication between the Museum and the school. The Museum Educator will develop a collaborative relationship with the administration, staff, and students through comprehensive, year-long STEAM programming connecting the school and the Museum, founded on object-based learning, the development of critical thinking skills through observation and inquiry, knowledge-building communities, and project-enhanced learning. The “HRM Museum Studies Partnership for Learning” prioritizes both staff development and direct student services and connects teachers and students with Museum professionals, artists, scientists, and historians to form a museum/school community, building capacity and ensuring sustainability. Through lessons and workshops at the school and the Museum and the culminating student exhibition, the Partnership will make connections between Visual and English Language Literacies, offering a tangible methodology to connect the Visual and Performing Arts with English language Arts, Language Acquisition, Science, Math, and Social Studies. Position to start immediately.
• Serves as Museum Educator, Manager, and Coordinator for the dedicated school partnership
• Oversees all activities related to the Partnership; coordinates all partnership activities with museum personnel, including Education staff and docents
• Plans and teaches lessons and conducts workshops at school and museum
• Collects, maintains, and organizes written and visual documentation of partnership
• Manages communication, planning, logistics, scheduling, paperwork and reports associated with the school partnership
• Negotiates details of scheduling at the school and Museum with school liaison and Museum staff
• Serves as the Museum’s representative for the Partnership school activities, meetings, outreach, etc.
• Secures all materials and supplies required for lesson and workshop delivery, and preparation and installation of in-school exhibition
• Collaborates with per diem curriculum writer; identifies, plans with, and supervises per diem teaching artists; works with preparator for in-school exhibition; works with consultant in web development of feature dedicated to exhibiting student work
• Communicates and shares data with program evaluator provided by the school district
• Performs other duties as assigned