Under the supervision of the Curator of the Davison Art Center (DAC), the Gallery Supervisor is responsible for art-object and gallery preparation, exhibition installation, deinstallation, packing and unpacking, shipping preparation, and maintenance of exhibitions and the permanent collection.
Under the supervision of the Director of the Center for the Arts, the Gallery Supervisor is responsible for the same duties related to the exhibition program of the Ezra and Cecile Zilkha Gallery.
The two galleries have active programs with 14-16 exhibitions of various sizes annually.
The DAC holds 18,000 prints and 6,000 photographs in one of the leading university graphic arts collections.
The Zilkha Gallery exhibits contemporary art, including video and installation art.
- Prepare collection and loan art objects for exhibition and for permanent storage. This includes matting and framing in accordance with museum-standard archival methods.
- Install and maintain exhibitions of historic and contemporary art. This includes design and fabrication of exhibit components including pedestals, platforms, bases, and vitrines in wood, metals, plexi, as needed; construction and painting of temporary walls and painting of permanent walls; mounting and installing labels, posters, other graphics and signage; hanging and mounting artwork; and installing exhibition lighting. This includes lifting and moving exhibition cases and temporary walls up to 50 pounds, and installing exhibition lighting using a mechanical lift up to 20 feet high.
- Work with contemporary artists to realize complex installations, based on blueprints and other documents.
- Participate in exhibition planning and design activities.
- In consultation with Curator of the DAC and Exhibitions Coordinator of Zilkha Gallery, select and order building materials and mounting/framing supplies within budget parameters.
- Supervise student employees and temporary contract installers/preparators, as needed. Ensure safe handling of artwork and safe work practices in shop and exhibition installation. Solicit quotes from contractors as needed.
- Coordinate packing and unpacking for exhibitions at Zilkha Gallery. Assist Registrar of DAC with shipping activities as needed. On some occasions construct custom shipping boxes and crates.
- Advise undergraduate senior thesis majors on object and installation preparation for senior thesis exhibitions. Supervise installation of senior thesis exhibitions.
- Supervise installation of exhibitions for Middletown public schools and other community groups.
- Supervise maintenance of exhibition spaces in coordination with Physical Plant staff. Assist in monitoring gallery and storage area lighting and climate control.
- Bachelors degree in studio art or related field and two years experience with art museum handling, preparation, installation, and exhibition practices or an equivalent combination of education training and related work experience.
- Demonstrated strong communication skills.
- Proven ability to work as a team member.
- Ability to work additional hours, including evenings, weekends, and holidays, as needed.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to perform the responsibilities listed above with a reasonable accommodation if needed.
- Experience with contemporary installation art.
- Knowledge of video installation and lighting technology.
- Experience in a university environment.
APPLY FOR THIS JOB