NINE-MONTH INTERNSHIP IN EDUCATION (MetTeens)
Metropolitan Museum of Art
New York, New York
The Education Department offers one nine-month internship for an individual interested in museum education, particularly for the teen audience. The intern supports an array of programs and events that engage teens with original works of art, museum careers, and creative projects during out-of-school time. These include the High School Internship Program, our Teens Take the Met initiative to offer teen nights two times a year, Career Labs or workshops for teens led by museum professionals, drop-in and more intensive art-making opportunities for teens, and our gallery-based Art Explore programs for teens 11-14. The intern will learn about and contribute to the planning, running, and evaluation of these programs.
Projects and Responsibilities:
- Assist with planning and running of 2 FY16 Teens Take the Met events
- Assist with planning and running of Teen Programs such as Saturday Sketching, Art Explore, and Teen Studios
- Assist with planning and running of the Career Labs to be led by museum professionals
- Assist with running of School Year 2015-16 High School Internship Program. This includes: assisting with planning and facilitation of group portions of the program led by Assistant Museum Educator, assisting the interns in projects, especially the Interactive Gallery Project and Intern-led Career Lab, and depending on skills and experience, assisting with art-making components of the program
- Assist with planning and running of Summer 2016 High School Internship Program. This includes: assisting with preparations for and facilitation of trainings led by Assistant Museum Educator, and assisting the interns in projects, especially the Interactive Gallery Project and Intern-led Career Lab
- Assist with planning and running of Teen Blog
- Assist with spreading word about Teen Programs and High School Internships via social media
October 15, 2015 to July 15, 2016
Full Time: five days a week, 35 hours per week
Open to recent college graduates, and master’s-level graduate students. Individuals must have completed their undergraduate or graduate degrees no more than one year prior to the application deadline.
Approximately $17,550 ($13.74/hour, less applicable taxes and deductions) and eligible to receive benefits currently offered to Non-Exempt Full-Time Employees of the Museum
The Metropolitan Museum of Art provides equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, mental or physical disability, pregnancy, alienage or citizenship status, marital status or domestic partner status, genetic information, genetic predisposition or carrier status, gender identity, HIV status, military status, and any other category protected by law in all employment decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, training and apprenticeship, promotion, upgrading, demotion, downgrading, transfer, lay-off and termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment.
Application Instructions / Public Contact Information
Fill out the online application here: https://metmuseum.wufoo.com/forms/zbix3xf1ej1t4p/