Job Opening: Collections Manager at the Mütter Museum of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia
An exciting opportunity exists to join the staff of the Mütter Museum. The College of Physicians of Philadelphia seeks a dynamic and resourceful professional to manage the museum’s collection and assist in a strategic merging of museum and library collections. The Collections Manager must demonstrate flexibility, teamwork, and collegiality essential in a small organization. The Collections Manager will join the College staff at a pivotal time as the institution creates a unified collections management system. The Collections Manager will shape a valuable historical medical collection for the future.
The Mütter Museum of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia (Birthplace of American MedicineSM) opened in 1863 and is world-renowned, receiving over 155,000 visitors last year. The collection contains over 35,000 objects, including human remains, medical and scientific instruments and equipment, models, and pharmaceuticals. Visit the museum website: http://muttermuseum.org/
Responsibilities: The College seeks a Collections Manager who has demonstrated a reasonable level of proficiency and knowledge in the core functional areas of CM, current practices recognized by the museum industry for CM, conservation practices, has the administrative and planning capabilities expected of the profession, and has a working knowledge of current and emerging technologies to improve CM practices.
- Undergraduate degree in science, history (emphasis on medical), or museum studies with a strong focus on medical and/or natural history museums. Advanced degree or relevant certification preferred.
- Four or more years’ experience working with medical, natural history, or equivalent collections demonstrating the diversity of objects a medical history establishment collects and maintains.
- Strong computer skills including: demonstrated working knowledge of computing technologies for CM, and ability to function as a team member in constructing a unified collections management system.
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills, including public speaking, publications, participation at conferences, and social media outreach.
Salary is commensurate with experience plus excellent benefits. This is a full time, regular, exempt position. Full position description available on request.
To apply: Send a cover letter which addresses the requirements listed here, a CV, and names/contact information of three referees. Review of applications begins immediately and continues until position is filled. Electronic submissions only. Submit to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19103, United States
- November 24, 2015
- Collections Manager
- The College of Physicians of Philadelphia
- 3-5 Years