The Smithtown Historical Society seeks an energetic and dynamic Executive Director to take charge of the day-to-day operations of the Society. The Executive Director will be responsible for fiscal guidance and site management, as well as the oversight of planning, programming, budgeting, marketing, public relations, institutional advancement, recruitment, and development. The Director also serves as the supervisor of all full time and part-time employees and volunteers. The Director will report to and work directly with the Historical Society’s Board of Trustees. Working in partnership with the Board of Trustees, the Executive
Director has responsibility for:
• Day-to-day operations of the Society, its properties and programs, supervision of professional, clerical and maintenance staff, all business functions and accounting, development and management of the annual operating budget.
• Ensuring that professional standards are developed and followed in the maintenance of the Society’s collections, buildings, and grounds.
• Serving as the Society’s representative and spokesperson in the community and with other community organizations; communicating directly with the Society’s members and the community at large through various written publications and through speaking engagements at events and programs.
• Supervising and coordinating established fundraising events, applying for grants, seeking corporate sponsorship, developing new sources of income for the Society, organizing and implementing annual giving and capital campaigns, maintaining membership records and dues, and encouraging new members to join the Historical Society.
The Historical Society is looking for an Executive Director who can manage the existing ambitious array of programming as well as someone who can seek out opportunities for growth and can find ways for the Society to expand its public, educational, and volunteer programs so that the history of Smithtown comes alive and remains meaningful for all the residents of Smithtown.
Successful candidates for the position of Executive Director must have:
• BA/BS degree and at least three years paid professional experience within a museum, historical society, or other not-for-profit setting. Masters degree or equivalent in non-profit or museum administration, museum studies or other relevant field preferred. A candidate with experience or familiarity in every facet of museum/historical society work is strongly preferred.
• Strong computer and Internet skills required with experience in development of web sites and web applications.
• Excellent communication skills, experience with grant writing, and the ability to speak and deal with a wide variety of people from varying backgrounds from the general public to the press to government officials.
• Experience in fundraising event management, marketing and communications, and knowledge of efficient and effective business practices.
• Proven experience as a team leader and team and community cultivator. Must be comfortable working closely with a small staff in a team-oriented atmosphere.
• Ability to be a flexible and resourceful problem solver.
• Proficient with the following computer programs/applications: Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Publisher, & PowerPoint), QuickBooks, PastPerfect, and Word Press Website templates.
Interested candidates should send their résumé, cover letter, and salary expectations to email@example.com. This vacancy will be open until filled, and it may close at any time. No phone inquiries, please.