The primary mission of the John F. Kennedy Library Foundation is to support the work of the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum whose core function is to collect, preserve, and make available for research the documents, audiovisual material and memorabilia of President Kennedy, his family, and his contemporaries.
The Foundation, representing a wide variety of constituencies within the general public, works closely with the National Archives and Records Administration to develop programs that advance the study and understanding of President Kennedy’s life and the times in which he lived; and that promote a greater appreciation of America’s political and cultural heritage, the process of governing, and the importance of public service.
In addition to its support of the Kennedy Library, the Kennedy Library Foundation directly sponsors programs and activities that help people understand the major challenges facing democracy today; that inspire current and future generations to political participation and public service; and that promote debate and discussion of issues at the heart of contemporary democracy that relate to the legacy of President John F. Kennedy.
Today, the Kennedy Library in Boston is one of the most visited of the 13 presidential libraries in America. Over 225,000 people from around the globe visit the museum each year, including serving over 70,000 students annually through a host of free educational programs. We also reach over 7 million people annually through our website.
The JFK Library Foundation is seeking a highly motivated development professional to assume a leadership role in expanding private philanthropic support for the Kennedy Library Foundation. With a primary focus on the Foundation’s Annual Fund, Membership and Planned Giving programs, the Director of Individual Giving will be responsible to significantly grow the organization’s annual giving efforts by developing a long term strategy to ensure donors are closely stewarded and presented with opportunities to increase their level of annual support all while enjoying a close relationship to the John F. Kennedy Library Foundation.
He/She will report to the Vice President of Development and be responsible to develop strategy and manage fundraising efforts with individual donors from the $1,000 to $25,000 level. In addition to cultivating their own donor portfolio, the Director of Individual Giving will be capable of providing oversight and management of 2-3 key development staff responsible for the day to day operations of the Foundation’s Annual Fund, Membership and Planned Giving solicitations.
The Director of Individual Giving will work to further cultivate the Foundation’s existing pool of long term and loyal donors and also devote time to identifying and meeting new prospects for all of the organization’s individual giving programs. He/She will be joining a team of hard working and dedicated professionals committed to advancing the Foundation’s fundraising efforts. The position will require a considerable time outside the office meeting with existing donors and new prospects as an energetic, creative, and persuasive front-line member of the Foundation’s development department.
He/She will be responsible to work with the Vice President of Development to set strategy and executing fundraising plans for sustaining and growing the number of annual donors, the size of individual donations, and the conversion of identified annual donors to major gift and leadership donors. In addition, the Director will be responsible to revitalize the JFK Library’s planned giving vehicle, The Victura Society. The Director will also support major giving efforts of the Vice President of Development and the Executive Director, as well as members of the Board, and assist in the Foundation’s annual fundraising gala the May Dinner.
The Director of Individual Giving will:
- Personally manage a gift portfolio of 100+ individual donors.
- Be responsible for growing unrestricted gifts for Foundation’s Annual Fund.
- Participate in the creation of key fundraising messaging in the Foundation’s annual appeals and membership programs online as well as in direct mail solicitations.
- Supervise staff to ensure that their individual successes will help the Foundation’s quarterly and annual revenue goals.
- Coordinate events with the Manager of Development Events and Operations to ensure an exceptional donor experience, with a focus on cultivation and stewardship; conceptualize and implement small donor cultivation events where appropriate.
- Oversee development operations for the Foundation’s Annual Fund, Membership and Planned Giving programs including gift receipt, tracking, and acknowledgement processes.
- Attend all key events where donor population is present.
- Work with the Manager of Development Operations and Special Events in enhancing donor recognition in all communication strategies;
- Maintain accurate and complete records of donor communications; Prepare regular reports on all appeal activities;
- Develop annual budgets for the Annual Fund, Membership and Planned Giving programs.
- Monitor revenue and expenses related to Individual Giving on a quarterly basis, as requested by the VP.
- Help develop new strategies and protocols for planned giving, through the Victura Society, which will re-engage current donors and attract new bequests.
- Bachelor’s degree and 5+ years of fundraising experience, with demonstrated success in major gift fundraising and managing staff and volunteers.
- Superior interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Outgoing personality and ability to initiate and enjoy direct communication with donors and potential donors; customer-service orientation;
- Highly motivated and energetic, ability to show initiative and work independently;
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, project coordination experience, and the ability to work well with all levels of internal management and staff;
- Organizational and managerial abilities, with ability to prioritize and manage multiple priorities.
- Travel, evening and weekend work required.
- Working knowledge of Raiser’s Edge or similar donor database program.
- Familiarity with Planned Giving programs.
The John F. Kennedy Library Foundation is a non-profit organization that seeks to promote a greater appreciation and understanding of American politics, history and culture, the process of governing and the importance of public service. We seek a responsible, resourceful, and energetic individual who shares a commitment to promoting President Kennedy’s legacy and the ideals of education and public service that he championed, and who enjoys working as part of a dedicated and strong team.
To apply, please email cover letter, resume and references to Maura Hammer at HR@jfklfoundation.org. Please use the subject line “Director of Individual Giving.”
No phone calls, please.