Applications consisting of a cover letter, resume, and names and contact information of three professional references should be sent by creating an account and applying online at http://www.yale.edu/jobs for immediate consideration – the STARS req ID for this position is 18523. Please be sure to include Requisition #18523 in the cover letter. Offer is contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
Museum Assistant 1 – Temporary
Medical Historical Library
Salary Grade: C
Pay Rate: $19.47 per hour
Temporary Assignment: 23 weeks from date of hire
Schedule: Part-time (15-19 hours per week) within Standard Work Week (M-F, 8:30-5:00)
Reporting to the Librarian for Medical History, provides administrative and technical support for the Medical Historical Library’s exhibitions program and physical and digital collections.
Prepares, preserves, and researches exhibits and digital collections. Aids in preservation and preparation of physical collections.
1. Assists the Curator for Prints, Posters, and Drawings and Historical Librarian with exhibition-related activities, including preservation, design, mounting, scanning, and other related tasks.
2. Assists with creation and management of basic social media sites (e.g. blogs, Facebook pages) and other online resources relating to exhibitions, as needed.
3. Working with the Curator of the Cushing Collection and Curator for Prints, Posters, and Drawings, and Historical staff, the assistant will add metadata and other information, and scan or photograph materials to enhance digital collections.
4. Assists the Historical Librarian with preservation of Historical Library collections, primarily books, and preparation of materials for locked stacks.
5. Works on inventory control, including tracking of materials.
6. Performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Six years of related work experience, four of them in the same job family at the next lower level, and a high school level education; or four years of related work experience and an Associate’s degree; or little or no work experience and a Bachelor’s degree in a related field; or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
1. Strong oral and written communications skills. Excellent interpersonal skills.
2. Good analytical ability and problem-solving skills, strong editorial skills. Experience with data entry.
3. Ability to organize and prioritize work assignments.
4. Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Excel.
PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS
Experience with basic social media sites (e.g. blogs, Facebook pages, WordPress) and other similar programs and content management systems.
BACKGROUND CHECK REQUIREMENTS
All external candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. Internal candidates may be subject to a motor vehicle or credit check for this position based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent on successful completion of the required background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Yale University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Yale values diversity in its faculty, staff, and students and strongly encourages applications from women and members of underrepresented minority groups.