The Newport Art Museum seeks a Director of Education for its school, The Coleman Center for Creative Studies. This is a unique opportunity for the right individual to play a major role in shaping the future of the Museum’s arts education programs (museum school, outreach, fee for
service, artist residency, workshops and arts and cultural programming) as it enters its centennial year in 2012. Creative vision and a passion for the arts combined with substantial arts education and management experience are necessary.
The Director of Education is responsible for working with the Executive Director to set the vision and goals for the department and to be a driving force in building community participation in arts education and cultural programming. He/She is responsible for:
* overseeing the day to day operations of the department
* working with the Director of Finance to develop and implement all budgets, overseeing a faculty of 25 and preparing all financial reports as necessary
* working with the Director Development in the preparation, tracking, evaluating and reporting of all education and cultural programming grants
* working closely with the Operations Manager to oversee all equipment, supplies, studios and facilities in the school building
* serving as the main liaison with the Education Committee of the Board of Trustees.
The preferred candidate will have a Masters in Art Education, will demonstrate effective leadership, management, communication and organization skills and will have at least five years experience in management level positions. Knowledge of best practice in museum education is essential. The position requires demonstrated ability to develop curricula for both museum-centered and external outreach arts education programs and experience working with grade span expectation requirements and teacher certification credits.
This is a full time, salaried position with benefits. The Museum is an equal opportunity employer and encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
Please send cover letter and resume to the Director of Finance and Administration, James Hockhousen, Newport Art Museum, 76 Bellevue Avenue, Newport, RI 02840 or by email to
JHockhousen[at]newportartmuseum[dot]org. No phone calls or faxes will be accepted.