Head of Families, Learning and Outreach Department, Qatar Children’s Museum
Qatar Museum Authority (QMA): www.qma.org.qa
Museum: new family museum based on areas of the arts (visual and performing) and the environment (including ecology) in Doha, the capital of Qatar.
Purpose of position: to set up, manage and develop exhibits, programmes and resources for families, within the department of learning and outreach. Reports to the Manager of Learning and Outreach.
Responsibilities: include but are not limited to:
* Family Programmes: initiate, research, plan and execute regular and one-off family programmes and events for multi-generational groups; research and initiate family resources to assist parents with their museum visit.
* Summer Camp: in collaboration with other QCM staff plan and lead QCM summer camp programme(s).
* Family liaison: act as main liaison with family support groups to facilitate their knowledge of museums and programmes; represent family needs in meetings and planning processes and coordinate with other QCM staff on inclusion of families in Museum events.
* Family research: initiate and maintain a high level of knowledge for QCM on family needs (statistical and practical).
* Full participation in QCM managerial processes, including all professional development; budget tracking and planning; staff mentoring, review and appraisal process; writing of web and print text; other processes as designated by the QCM Director.
* Tracking and evaluation of the attendance and feedback from family programmes; coordination with other QCM staff of Museum priorities and calendar of events. Other responsibilities as designated by the department Head.
* Represent the Museum at various educational and learning organizations; contribute to conferences, publications and research.
* Participate with other QMA senior staff in cross-museum projects and initiatives.
Position requirements: masters degree (or equivalent) in museum studies, museum education, life-long learning, or closely related subject; minimum 3 years museum management experience including management of staff and budget; (minimum 6 years total museum experience); experience with in-gallery programming for families and/or
children; computer literate with excellent written, presentation and communication skills. International work experience highly desirable.
Position contract offers excellent, tax-free salary with extensive benefits (including accommodation, flights, medical coverage and end-of-contract payment; 45 days paid vacation a year plus public holidays).
Application: detailed cover letter and CV via email to Sue Underwood OBE, Director, Qatar Children’s Museum at sunderwood[at]qma[dot]org[dot]qa