Tufts VOX exists to educate the university community about reproductive health and rights; to translate increased awareness into pro-choice activism on campus; and to serve as a coalition partner to state, national, and international reproductive rights efforts.
Tufts VOX believes in the fundamental right of every individual to manage his or her fertility. Tufts VOX supports full access to comprehensive reproductive and complementary health care services in settings that preserve and protect the essential privacy and rights of each individual. We advocate public policies that guarantee these rights and ensure access to such services and support access to medically accurate educational programs that enhance understanding of human sexuality.
Despite the fact that the majority of Americans support access to reproductive health care and information:
- The U.S. Congress has voted nearly 140 times on bills that would affect access to birth control and abortion since anti-choice leadership took over in 1995.
- In a majority of states, health insurance companies that cover prescription drugs are not required to provide equal coverage for prescription contraceptive drugs.
- Each year, the U.S. government spends $50 million on “abstinence-only” sex education, yet there is no federally funded program for comprehensive sexuality education in this country.
- The U.S. has placed a “global gag rule” on international family planning assistance, preventing family planning agencies overseas from providing safe abortions and lobbying their own governments to change the abortion laws in their countries, even with their own money.
Why does this matter?
- Because half of all pregnancies in the U.S. are unintended.
- Because the U.S. has the highest rates of teen pregnancy, teen birth, and teen abortion in the Western world.
- Because worldwide a woman dies from pregnancy-related causes every minute.