The application process for the 2020 class of Beckman Scholars is now open!
1. Verify your eligibility. You are only eligible for Tufts Beckman Scholars if you:
– Are a second- or third-year student in good standing
– Have a cumulative GPA of 3.3 or higher
– Have coordinated your application with a member of the Tufts Beckman Scholars Mentor Group.
– Can commit to two summers of full-time research and one academic year of part-time research.
2. Complete your application materials. Complete applications consist of the following:
– The four-page Tufts University Beckman Scholars Application (cover page, signed program requirements sheet, project narrative, and personal statement).
– A printout/PDF of college transcript(s).
– Two letters of recommendation (neither may be written by the Beckman Mentor and at least one of these letters must be written by an individual outside the Tufts Beckman Scholars Mentor Group).
– A letter of collaboration written jointly by the student and Mentor and signed by both. This letter should do the following:
- Describe the joint interests of the student and mentor and how the research project will advance the student’s career aspirations
- Give a summary of the project and how it fits in within the mentor’s larger research program
- Describe the means and frequency of advising by the mentor
- Describe the student’s and mentor’s commitment to participating fully in the Beckman Scholars program
- Give a preliminary plan as to how the student’s project will be independent from other projects in the research group, a rough timeline for the project, and how the project could result in a first-author publication for the student.
3. Send us your application materials. The materials listed above must be submitted to email@example.com by 5PM on Monday, March 2, 2020. From these applicants, four to six individuals will be selected for interviews with members of the Beckman Mentor Group. Interviews will be conducted within three weeks of the above application deadline and the newly selected Tufts Beckman Scholars will be announced by the first week of April.
4. Selection criteria. Tufts University Beckman Scholars will be selected on the basis of their potential as a future leader in scientific research. While Scholars will be expected to maintain a high level of academic performance, factors such as maturity, motivation, preparedness to tackle their proposed project, clear and charismatic communication style, and dedication to scientific research will be primary in the selection process.