Coin Sorter

Coin Sorter

This sorts pennies from other coins and pushes them different ways

Isaac

It takes input from the color sensor to decide if the coin is a penny. It then uses a servo with an attachment I made to push the coin either left or right for the respective color. In the future, I plan to then have it sort the silver coins by size.

15 thoughts on “Coin Sorter

• August 7, 2020 at 2:23 PM

I think the idea is really cool. It’s really useful to sort different coins. Maybe in the future, sort more coins like quarters and dimes?

• August 7, 2020 at 3:43 PM

I am definitely going to try. That was my original idea, but I couldn’t get the camera to work right in time sorting by size.

• August 7, 2020 at 2:24 PM

I love the use of the aggressive servo to sort the coins quickly. Did you use ML to learn what color is a penny or just hard code it? I can’t wait to see the next revision with size sorting.

• August 7, 2020 at 3:20 PM

I think this is a super useful idea that could definitely help someone get change or even count their money. Do you think you will maybe implement some sort of dispenser so multiple coins could be sorted as once. That addition would be super helpful because placing the individual coins in the tray kind of defeats the purpose of an automatic sorter, but otherwise, this was done super well!!

• August 7, 2020 at 3:49 PM

It doesn’t work with pennies that are more black than copper, but duller ones work best because the color sensor can see what color they are better. The super shiny ones sometimes act too much like mirrors and makes the robot think they are silver.

• August 7, 2020 at 3:46 PM

Amazing idea Isaac! This definitely has so many useful applications from sorting to counting change. I can’t wait to see the end product you have in mind!