Rave Bot

Rave Bot

Detects walls and moves around a room, while flashing lights and playing music.

Alexander

Built using servos and a distance sensor to detect obstacles within a certain threshold, and avoid them; can deal with walls and corners. Fades between all the lights in the RGB spectrum. Plays rave music.

24 thoughts on “Rave Bot

• August 7, 2020 at 1:56 PM
    Permalink

Hi Alex! What a fun robot, thanks for showing us the fail video and keeping it real. I love the way the bot moves randomly around the room, in the robot’s mind, what was the “goal”? Was it to just keep moving forward, or did it have some sense of the room it was in? (curious how it would perform in a bigger room) Great work!

• August 7, 2020 at 2:34 PM
      Permalink

The robot looked around every 10 milliseconds, and if the dstance to an object in its sights was less than a threshold, it used a turning function. The turning function used the servo, distance sensor, and randint to decide whether to turn left, right, or go backwards and turn randomly (if it is in a corner). It performed just as well in all different sizes of rooms (I used my dining room, hallway, kitchen, etc.) except that it couldn’t recognize very short objects. This was good for getting over hurdles but bad for not running into things. I was planning on using a bigger area to test, but I live in a small apartment, and I had a lot of stuff covering parts of my dining room and living room.

• August 7, 2020 at 2:18 PM
    Permalink

The motion looked really fluid and the robot does a great job navigating. The lights gives it an extra degree of fun and it’s overall a great project.

–Ian

• August 7, 2020 at 2:19 PM
    Permalink

What a fun idea! I really like how quickly the robot is able to navigate the space. Does the fact that the distance sensor is mounted on a servo contribute to this efficiency?

• August 7, 2020 at 2:36 PM
      Permalink

it does a bit, but it isn’t necessary, as earlier models used small turns left/right instead, and worked just as well. It was mostly for safety reasons, as when the whole thing turned it had to run into the wall a bit, and that could cause damage.

• August 7, 2020 at 2:19 PM
    Permalink

I was really impressed by how the robot moved. It did a great job (except for the blooper) moving around and maneuvering through the room seemingly effortlessly. Great job with the lights too. This robot is awesome, especially with the world’s situation.

• August 7, 2020 at 2:20 PM
    Permalink

I loved the maneuverability of the robot. Throughout the course of the presetnation the robot only fell over once which is really good. Also, what is a rave?

• August 7, 2020 at 2:36 PM
      Permalink

A rave (from the verb: to rave) is an organized dance party at a nightclub, an outdoor festival, warehouse, or other private property or public spaces, typically featuring performances by DJs, playing a seamless flow of electronic dance music. (Wikipedia)

• August 7, 2020 at 3:13 PM
    Permalink

I love the ideas you had for this robot! I also love how it moves and avoids obstacles. It’s cool that it’s multi functional and could be used at parties. I would love to have a robot like this in my room!

• August 7, 2020 at 3:54 PM
    Permalink

Really great job not only creating a bot to navigate its space but also stacking on features as you did. A rave bot that doesn’t hit the wall, has really cool fade LEDs, and plays music? Incredible. You incorporated so much into this project and were able to have them all working smoothly in conjunction with each other! Good work!