Aquarium Bot

Aquarium Bot

Motion-activated dynamic art display

Avery Barnett

Aquarium Bot is a motion-activated art display of paper fish and plants. It uses both a camera and distance sensor to detect movement and the presence of a person, which activates the display. Additionally, the button sensor can be used to turn off the display entirely. The servo motors move back and forth to wave the paper fish as if they were swimming. Finally, the lights and motors are on a cycle: the LEDs move through a series of cyan and aqua colors, while the motors, with plants mounted on them, alternate between speeding up and slowing down. The result is a display with changing lights, spinning plants, and swimming fish that turns on when someone stands in front of it.

8 thoughts on “Aquarium Bot

• July 23, 2021 at 5:38 pm

This is amazing! I like your crafts and how you made them interactive. I’d like to make my own aquarium bot using your instructions if you have 😀

• July 23, 2021 at 5:40 pm

This is amazing!! I have two clownfish myself however I don’t believe they have a camera or a distance sensor attached. Well done!

• July 23, 2021 at 3:33 pm

Hi Avery! This project really expanded the concept of what a robot can do and the inclusion of the photo with the dismantled parts proves that anything can be robotic, including a diorama of a fish tank. The blend of art and robotics is the definition of STEAM to which it comes out in so many moving parts in your display. I’d agree that addition of music would be a great addition should you choose to continue working on your aquarium and am hopeful you keep working on personal robotic projects in your future! – Phoebe