Automatic Light Switcher

Automatic Light Switcher

This robot senses when somebody enters or exits the room, and turns the light on/off.

Jimin

I made a robot that automatically turns the lights on and off. It works by using a distance sensor to sense when somebody walks in or out the room. When there is a sudden decrease in the distance, it means that somebody entered or exited. This information is sent to a servo that physically moves the light switch on or off.

7 thoughts on “Automatic Light Switcher

• July 23, 2021 at 5:59 pm

Did the weight of the robot affect the mounting system? How did you deal with the weight when mounting it to the wall.

• July 23, 2021 at 6:07 pm

There was a screw under the light switch which was pretty sturdy, so the weight wasn’t that big of an issue when mounting it. I made it more stable by using hot glue.

• July 23, 2021 at 6:09 pm

If I had more time, I think I would’ve added a voice activated feature using the loudness sensor to control it from farther away.

• July 23, 2021 at 7:12 pm

I set the triggering distance to be less than 50 cm which is the distance from the sensor to the middle of the doorway so it would know when someone is passing through. I also needed a minimum distance because I didn’t want it to trigger when I opened or closed the door. I set my triggering distance to be between 15 and 50 cm.