Each year we hold First-Year and Sophomore meetings for pre-health students. The highlight is always the panel of seniors who have made the most of their Tufts education as they prepare for their chosen health professions. This year we have asked them to blog about those experiences. Here is the first of several posts to inspire you about what you can do with your time at Tufts.

My name is Sara Fuhrman, and I’m from Lancaster, Pennsylvania. I will graduate this spring (2016) with a double major in Biology and Philosophy. For the past four years I have played on the Tufts women’s rugby club where I hold a leadership position, and I am a member of a sorority on campus where I have also held leadership positions. My sophomore fall, I started working at the Tufts Medical Center in their Biomarkers Research Laboratory; I continued to work there into the following summer, staying on campus and taking genetics as a summer course.

This past spring I went abroad on the Tufts program in Tübingen, Germany. While in Tübingen, I worked 16 hours a week at the local university hospital in the General, Visceral, and Transplantation Surgery Department. The work I did was about the equivalent of the work of a certified nursing assistant, and it was a great real-life experience working on the floor.

Going abroad was something I was really passionate about doing, so I had to carefully plan my schedule to make sure I was going to fulfill my graduation and major requirements, but the work was definitely worth it, and I had the time of my life abroad. After I graduate in the spring I plan on taking a growth year to travel somewhere new and find a job working in clinical research before beginning medical school.

Sara Fuhrman, class of 2016

Sara Fuhrman, ’16