Another great entry in our new series – look for lots more of these as we explore where everyone’s headed off to this summer!
Andrea Rosen is doing a summer internship at the MIT List Visual Arts Center. She found the internship on the Center’s website. They offer four summer internships, and assign each intern to the staff member that best aligns with their interests. Andrea will be working for curator João Ribas, assisting him with contemporary art exhibitions. Her duties will include assembling checklists, writing and tracking loan requests, and assembling contributions to exhibition catalogues. She is very excited for this tremendous, career-building opportunity.
Ed Rodley is an exhibit developer over at the Museum of Science and author of the terrific blog Thinking about Exhibits. Go add it to your blog roll right now; I’ll be here when you get back.
Okay! Welcome back. Anyway – Ed organized a museum tech meetup in May, and I was not on the ball about posting about that, plus it was the same night as the last NEMA YEP workshop. So, sorry about that.
Luckily for the rest of us, everyone at that meetup had so much fun that they’re organizing another one, and possibly regular ones, in the future.
The next one is going to be June 15 or 16. We’ll announce when it’s settled here, or you can add the Museum Tech Meetup Google Calendar to your own calendar.
Welcome to our weekly museums in the news roundup!
Museum starting seed library for urban farmers (Jane Addams Hull House Museum, Chicago, Illinois)
Museum curator puts her vision on display (Museum of Contemporary Art, San Diego, California)
Could smallpox still be lurking in labs and museums? (various museums)
Cincinnati museum puts art restoration on display (Cincinnati Art Museum, Cincinnati, Ohio)
A museum thinks on itself and finds wonders (Williams College Museum of Art, Williamstown, Massachusetts)
Never forget…to use the bathroom before visiting 9/11 Memorial (proposed museum)
Oakland’s African American Museum and Library facing closure (African American Museum and Library, Oakland, California)
National Pinball Museum in Washington to close (National Pinball Museum, Washington, D.C.)
Welcome to our weekly listing of all jobs posted on the Tufts Museum Studies Blog. As always, jobs are posted immediately on their own page; this is just the weekly collection of them.
- Manager of Interpretation and Visitor Services [USS Constitution Museum]Manager of Interpretation & Visitor Services (Full-time) Description: The Manager of Interpretation & Visitor Services develops, implements, and evaluates interpretive programs and visitor services offered by the USS Constitution Mus…
- Assistant Director [Brookline Arts Center]Assistant Director, Brookline Arts Center A community-based art education nonprofit in the Boston area seeks a full-time Assistant Director. This is a 40-hour / week position and requires some evening and weekend hours. This person: * Has primar…
- Education Director [Aldrich Contemporary Art Museum]Education Director The Aldrich Contemporary Art Museum, a non-collecting contemporary art museum in Ridgefield, CT, is seeking a dynamic, creative and experienced Director of Education to take responsibility for the conception, development, and eval…
- Community Educator, Hartford [Connecticut Landmarks]Job Description Connecticut Landmarks Revised May 2011 JOB TITLE: Community Educator, Hartford DEPARTMENT: Education REPORTS TO: Education & Historic Sites Manager STATUS: Part-time OVERVIEW: Connectic…
- Education and Historic Sites Operations Manager [Connecticut Landmarks]Job Description Connecticut Landmarks Revised May 2011 JOB TITLE: Education & Historic Sites Operations Manager DEPARTMENT: Education REPORTS TO: Director of Programs & Collections STATUS: Full-time, …
- Coordinator of Education [Reynolda House Museum of American Art]Reynolda House Museum of American Art, an affiliate of Wake Forest University, has an opening for a Coordinator of Education, FT with benefits. Those interested in applying are encouraged to visit the Careers section of the Wake Forest University …
- Volunteer Collection Assistants, Volunteer Administrative Assistants [Museum Village]Volunteer Collections Assistants are immediately needed to assist in ILMS and NYSCA grant-funded projects. This is a great opportunity for history, education and museum studies students to get professional growth experience at a living history museum. …
- Collections Associate [Museum Village]Two paid positions as Collections Associates are immediately available to continue work on an ILMS grant funded project to inventory and photograph a large collection of American material culture from the 18th, 19th, and early 20th century. The 35-40…
Pssst – want to help a great museum project gather data?
Take fifteen minutes to help the Family Learning Forum fill out a new survey about its website.
PS – This goes double for those of you who are interning at the USS Constitution Museum this summer. I know who you are.