The Walters Art Museum is looking for an enthusiastic, creative, and knowledgeable Manager of Gallery Learning. We seek a leader with fresh strategies for developing docent training programs and in-gallery experiences for the public.
Reporting to the Director of Education and Public Programs, the individual will play a central role in the team-based work of the Education Department and in the larger Art and Program Division to sustain and refresh the in-gallery learning of our visitors. This includes working with a committed and dynamic group of 70+ volunteer docents who facilitate dialogue with visitors in the galleries. She/he will work collaboratively with colleagues across multiple museum departments and divisions.
Docent Recruitment, Training and Management:
• Researches innovative ways to recruit docents that will attract a diverse group of volunteers to facilitate learning in the galleries
• Works collaboratively with staff to evaluate current program and develop a 21st century approach to docent training. Incorporates best practices for interactive and engaging gallery teaching and training.
• Researches, teaches, and evaluates training sessions for museum’s 70+ docents
• Provides support and mentorship to docents including the Docent Leadership
Cross-Departmental Programming and Collaboration:
• Collaborates with the School, Family, and Adult Programs teams to help shape effective and consistent gallery experiences for specific audiences.
• Collaborates with the Visitor Services and Security teams to ensure quality experiences for all visitors
• Strategically develops the work of the docents to align with and support the efforts of the other departments
• Leads tours as needed to special interest groups, VIPs, school, and adult groups.
• Provides effective management and mentorship for Education Coordinator
• In collaboration with the Education Coordinator, oversees the college docent and studio intern program.
• Works with a team to develop and maintain a unified and goal-oriented approach to museum-wide interpretation for gallery installations and exhibitions.
• Develops and implements evaluation tools to measure, interpret, and analyze gallery learning programs and materials
Performs other duties as assigned.
• Masters degree or equivalent experience plus three years of related experience
• Demonstrated experience coordinating tours/visitor services program and/or managing and training docents
• Comprehensive knowledge of art history and educational pedagogy; best practices in museum interpretation preferred; knowledge of Visual Thinking Strategies and Common Core Standards a plus.
• Demonstrated supervisory experience
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Word, and Excel
• Excellent customer service, written and verbal communication skills
• Strong organizational and time management skills; must be detail oriented and able to manage program budgets
• High degree of initiative, intuition, and innovation. Diplomacy and tact in dealing with a diverse group of people. Requires flexibility and ability to work in a fast paced environment
• Must be receptive to change and innovation. Ability to promote teamwork and collaboration a must
• Some evening and weekend work required.
The Walters offers an attractive benefits package. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. For consideration, send your resume, cover letter and salary requirement to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application end date is Friday, September 23, 2016.
An Equal Opportunity, Equal Access Employer. A smoke and drug free workplace.