The Fitchburg Art Museum is seeking a Collection Management Intern for Fall 2018 (September 4 – December 20). The Intern will assist the Collection Manager in overseeing the care of FAM’s collection of over 5,500 works of art including sculpture, painting, prints, drawings, and photographs. This is an excellent opportunity to become acquainted with collection management, gain valuable experience in the museum field, and learn about the operations of a major regional museum with a growing collection of contemporary art, photography, African, and American art. This volunteer position is part-time (2 days a week) and reports to the Collection Manager, Aminadab “Charlie” Cruz Jr.
- Assistance with museum-wide inventory of works of art
- Basic cataloguing of new works of art
- Creating and maintaining files for works of art
- Assistance with art handling, movement, and storage
- Assistance with looking up records in the database
- Assistance with setting up and taking down works of art for Collections Meetings
- Assistance in preparation and installation of exhibitions
- Taking inquiries from the public about the collection
- Other administrative tasks as needed
Who you are:
You are a student currently enrolled in a MA program (BA students and grads also welcome) and have an interest in art and museums. You are enthusiastic and work easily with others. You are curious, eager to learn, and aren’t afraid to ask questions.
Who we are:
Founded in 1925, the Fitchburg Art Museum (FAM) serves the cities of Fitchburg and Leominster and the surrounding communities of North Central Massachusetts and Southern New Hampshire. It has a strong collection of nineteenth-century American art, photography, and African art, and regularly exhibits an ambitious program of Contemporary New England art. FAM is a small work place that is collaborative, fun, creative, and supportive. We enjoy sharing our experience and knowledge.
- Ability to work both under direction and independently
- Detail-oriented and willing to see the big picture
- Comfortable with learning and using new technology
- Comfortable working with art (and/or willing to learn how to handle valuable works of art)
- The ideal candidate is interested in museums, art and/or art history, or library science
- Must be currently enrolled, in a MA program (BA students and grads also welcome)
How to apply:
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, CV or resume, and the names and contact information for 2 references by email to Collection Manager Aminadab “Charlie” Cruz Jr., email@example.com.
The application process will be open until the position is filled.