Researching the agri-food industry in Mexico

by Laura Gallardo Suazo

The LAC Research Trip to Mexico City represented a perfect opportunity to explore a new country and culture while expanding my knowledge of my academic interests.
My research study focuses on the factors that drive agrifood industry exports in Mexico. The agri-food industry consists of a diverse range of agricultural production, food processing, and related activities. Mexico is the third largest agrifood producer and exporter in Latin America, and the 7th largest agrifood exporter globally. Mexico’s leading agrifood export products are Beer, Tequila & Mezcal, Avocado, Tomatoes, and Berries. Mexico is the top global exporter of avocado, blackberry, tomato, beer, tequila, sweet cookies, mango, and asparagus. Its main destinations are the United States, Japan, Canada, and China.

Given Mexico’s success and trade competitiveness, I wanted to learn more about the factors that helped them become the leading exporters they are, and how these factors may be implemented in other Latin American countries. Throughout my visit to Mexico City, I interviewed Lourdes Cruz (Senior Advisor to the Secretary of Agriculture and Rural Development of Mexico), Lina Pohl (FAO Representative in Mexico), Diego Montenegro (IICA Representative in Mexico), and Norberto Valencia (Director of International Trade of the National Agricultural Council-CNA of Mexico). I also had the opportunity to visit a Picard Chocolate factory, observe the production process, and learn about their marketing and export plans. Each interview resulted in new insights and exposure to diverse perspectives

(government, international organizations, and private sector).
My preliminary findings suggest that factors that may contribute to Mexico’s agrifood trade success include its strategic geographic position, openness to trade (it has 14 free trade agreements with more than 50 countries), its strong phito-zoosanitary status, varied climates that allow for a wide range of products, substantial Foreign Direct Investment in the agrifood industry, among others. Some challenges include adapting to climate change, implementing new technologies (particularly for irrigation), improving infrastructure, and addressing rural labor shortages. Mexico’s international agrifood trade competitiveness represents a case study for other Latin American nations.

My visit to Mexico City allowed me to immerse myself in a topic I’m passionate about, meet different professionals, and learn from firsthand experiences. This trip has broadened my perspective and deepened my knowledge of the topic at hand.