Ph.D Candidate & Lecturer, University of Western Ontario
Ali was a principal researcher in the development of the Fletcher-SWF Transactions Database and contributed in the development of research methodologies to capture financial data. His research also includes sovereign capacity management, credit, reserve management, accessing capital through multinational quasi-governmental organizations with a specific focus on Sovereign Wealth Fund (SWF) portfolio strategies, political risk and economic development.
Ali is also a Contributing Analyst at Wikistrat, a geopolitical consultancy. His private and public sector experience includes working for Manhattan-based financial firm NewOak as Director of Research, where he oversaw research of governance, risk management, and compliance issues in the area of structured finance, securitization, and banking regulations and financial markets.
Ali holds an MA in International Commerce and Policy from the School of Public Policy at George Mason University, and an MA in International Political Economy from Waterloo University. He completed his PhD coursework in the department of political science at the University of Western Ontario. His doctoral research concerns the (international) political economy of Sovereign Wealth Funds.
- Sovereign Wealth Fund Investment in Economic Transformation: Toward an Institutional Framework
- Harnessing Oil Wealth in Guyana via a Sovereign Wealth Fund: Look Before You Leap
- Capitalizing Economic Development Through Sovereign Investment: A “Paradox of Scarcity”
- Sovereign Wealth Funds and Social Finance – The Case for Islamic Finance and Impact Investing
- SWFs and Egypt – A Fresh Look at Infrastructure Funding and Investments