Gendering Research Design

Friday, November 15
3:00PM – 4:10PM
Mugar 200

Research is a fundamental skill for international relations academics and practitioners alike. Failure to consider gender in one’s research can create incomplete and sometimes faulty conclusions, which will lead to an underrepresentation in the programs and policy that the research will inform. Doing this recreates and reinforces the systems of oppression that impact women and non-binary genders. In this workshop, we will discuss best practices of engendering the research design process for projects in human security, development, and other related fields. Including gender considerations in research has the ability to create more inclusive, equitable policy and programming decisions. The skills learned will be applicable and transferrable to most research settings. The workshop will focus on: 1) how to design and draft gender-sensitive research questions; 2) how to prepare gender-aware research processes (interviews, focus groups, surveys, and other data collection tools); and 3) analyze a case example of a research proposal and strengthen the outcomes by including gender dimensions. The workshop will address both quantitative and qualitative research methods. 

Workshop Facilitator

Meg Guliford

she/her/hers

I’m a PhD Candidate at The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University, an Eisenhower-Roberts Fellow, and a former Minerva-USIP Peace and Security Scholar. I am also a Security Fellow with the Truman National Security Project.

I study Security Studies and Comparative Politics. In particular, I’m interested in examining how external intervention into civil wars affects civilian populations.

Prior to beginning my doctoral studies, I worked as a Research Staff Member in the Institute for Defense Analyses’ Intelligence Analyses Division and for the Office of the Secretary of Under Secretary of Defense for Intelligence. In 2009-2010, I completed a deployment to Iraq to work issues related to improvised explosive devices. My career in the federal government began as a Presidential Management Fellow for Headquarters, United States Marine Corps.

I’m a proud fourth generation Kansan. I hold B.A.s in Political Science and Communications from the University of Pennsylvania and an MPP from Harvard University’s John F. Kennedy School of Government.