Paintings Conservation Graduate Internship
Conservation and Collections Management is an integral part of the Museum’s stated purpose to hold its collections in trust for future generations. Members of the department promote the long-term preservation of artworks through development of conservation treatments, study of materials and techniques, scholarly research and documentation. The department follows internationally established standards to document and maintain the aesthetic and physical integrity of works of art through six conservation disciplines, an analytical facility, and a collections management division responsible for safe exhibition, storage, transport, as well as the collections database.
Intern will have hands-on experience in the Rose-Marie and Eijk van Otterloo Paintings Conservation Studio, participating in a variety of projects to further develop his/her conservation skills, while gaining valuable insight into the day-to-day operations of a conservation lab. Intern will perform tasks appropriate to his/her abilities and training in the examination, documentation, and treatment of paintings. Intern will be expected to carry out tasks in support of the day-to-day operations of the lab.
Responsibilities may include:
- Examining, documenting, and treating works of art in the MFA’s collections under guidance of staff conservators
- Undertaking research necessary to support conservation treatments
- Performing other duties as appropriate
- Graduate student currently enrolled in a recognized art conservation training program
- Previous museum experience desirable
- Attention to detail
- Facility with Microsoft Word, Excel, and database programs (training in use of the Museum’s database system will be provided)
- Ability to perform tasks in professional manner and with discretion when working with confidential records
- Ability to commit 5 days per week (9am-5pm) for a period of at least 7 weeks
Email a single MS Word document (no pdf) containing your cover letter and resume to: email@example.com. (Review the full application procedures and FAQ’s at our website.
April 22, 2016
Leave a Reply