My current research focuses on branding and brand management in international organizations, particularly within the United Nations system. I am especially interested in exploring how complex international organizations can best be presented to the public to create a better understanding of, and support for, their work. My research interests also include communication, process management, quality management, and knowledge management.
Previously, I worked for six years at a branding and graphic design company in Vienna (Brainds) and operated social media channels at the UN Alliance of Civilizations. I did my graduate studies in International Affairs at The Fletcher School (MALD) and in International Management at the University of Economics and Business in Vienna (MS, CEMS), and completed my undergraduate work in Information Management at FH JOANNEUM (Graz, Austria). I spent exchange semesters at the University of Portsmouth (UK), Koç University in Istanbul, and Sciences Po in Paris.
- The Fletcher School, Tufts University, Boston
Teaching Assistant for “Introduction to International Relations” (Fall 2020)
Academic Skills Consultant
PhD Candidate in International Relations
Past Professional Experience
- Harvard University, Boston
Teaching Assistant for “Diplomacy and International Relations” (2020)
- The Fletcher School / Tufts University, Boston
Instructor for “Design for Non-Designers” (Summer 2020)
Trainer for “Personal Knowledge Management” workshops (Summer 2020)
Teaching Assistant for:
“Introduction to International Relations” (2019)
“Global Marketing Management” Case: “The United Nations Brand Challenge” (2019)
“The Practice of U.S. Public Diplomacy” (2019)
“Adaptive Leadership and Managerial Communication” (2017)
“Actors in Global Governance” (2017)
- United Nations, Department of Global Communications, New York
Voluntary Researcher on branding in the UN system (2016)
Voluntary Researcher on a social media workflow (2013)
- United Nations Alliance of Civilizations, New York (2013)
Media and Information Literacy Intern
- Brainds (Branding and Graphic Design), Vienna, Austria (2006–2013)
Project and IT/Workflow Manager, Assistant to the CEO
Past Academic Experience
- The Fletcher School, Tufts University, Boston, MA (since 2017)
PhD Colloquium Coordinator
Dean Search Committee Member
Student Council Member
- The Fletcher School, Tufts University, Boston, MA (2015–2017)
International Relations, MALD (Master of Arts in Law and Diplomacy)
- Sciences Po, Paris School of International Affairs, France (2016)
- Vienna University of Economics and Business, Austria (2012–2014)
International Management, double-degree program MS and CEMS MIM (Master in International Management)
- Koç University, Istanbul, Turkey (2013)
- FH JOANNEUM, Graz, Austria (2003–2007)
Information Management, Master’s-equivalent degree DI (FH)
- University of Portsmouth, UK (2006–2007)
Academic Conferences and
- Brown University (2020)
“Diplomacy and Branding at the United Nations: How Is Branding Related to the United Nations—and Can This Discipline Contribute to the UN’s Effectiveness?”
- Harvard University (2020)
“The United Nations: A Primer”
- Academic Council of the United Nations, annual meeting (2020)
“What Do We Know About Branding and Brand Management in the United Nations System? Exploring the Literature and Highlighting Avenues for Research”
- Austrian Research and Innovation Talk, Washington DC (2018)
“Brand Design Can Save the Organizations That Were Designed to Save Us.”
- Academic Council of the United Nations annual meeting, Rome (2018)
“Towards a Better Understanding of the UN”
- United Nations Geneva Panel UN BRANDED: A Look at Branding & Visual Identity in the UN System (2017)
“Branding in the UN System: Five Theses.” Download
- Austrian Research and Innovation Talk, Austin (2017)
“Branding the United Nations.” Download
- TED-style event Fletcher Faces of the Community, Boston (2017)
“Getting Things Done.” Watch on YouTube
- UN Department of Global Communications, New York (2016)
“Strategic Communication and Branding in International Organizations: The Case of the United Nations.” Receive related Master’s Thesis by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- UN Department of Global Communications, New York (2014)
Video conference/presentation on the social media communications workflow.
- UN Department of Global Communications, New York (2013)
“Designing a Communication System That Enables Consistent, Immediate, Multilingual and Accurate UN Communication Through Social Media Communication Channels.” Receive related Master’s Thesis by sending an email to email@example.com.
- CEMS, “The Sustainable Development Issue” CEMS Magazine, 2019, Read here.
- Jacquelyn Beals, “Should the United Nations Have a Brand-New Brand?” BRIDGES (blog) by the Office of Science and Technology Austria, Oct 17, 2018.
- UN Designers and Visual Communicators Group, “UN Branded – First Impressions,” Visual Communicators Newsletter, January 2018, Read here.
- Jonathan Fowler, “Digital Branding, And Sticking to It,” LinkedIn, Dec 15, 2017, Read here.
- UN Designers and Visual Communicators Group, “The Biggest Event of the Year,” Visual Communicators Newsletter, December 2017, Read here.
- UN Designers and Visual Communicators Group, “An UNbranded Organization?” Visual Communicators Newsletter, November 2017, Read here.