by Ashley Trejo
I find myself repeating the phrase of an optimistic yellow sponge from my youth. Well, “youth” may be a bit of a stretch since the silly show can still be found playing on my screens. Nevertheless, “I’m Ready” has been the statement on my mind since mid-May.
The more I mentally and physically say this phrase the more I began to truly admire and reflect on the character behind the phrase. The show consists of the daily shenanigans of Spongebob and how he is able to experience his life with little to no unhappiness, even when life got a little rocky. In no way, shape, or form was he ready for anything! Yet, he continued to proclaim his readiness and took life head on. I realize that as a child I didn’t give this show enough credit and now, as this bridge year is about to begin, I find myself hoping that I can amount to this yellow sponge.
- Be uncomfortable but find comfort within that.
- Get lost and call it “exploration” instead.
- Try at Hindi and potentially sound really silly.
- Try again at Hindi despite the silly soundingness of my attempt.
- Try new things.
- Miss my family although I tell myself I won’t miss them that much.
- Have moments where my expectations get the best of me because these things take time.
- Be as ready as I can be.