- Create an optimized implementation of the ReCom proposal (in GerryChain) using C/C++ and Cython
- Contribute to the Districtr project.
- Develop a high-quality geospatial toolkit for preprocessing redistricting data. For example, aggregating Census data, disagreggating election results, and reconciling differing sets of precinct boundaries. This would pick up from where our Preprocessing project left off last summer.
- Parallelize/vectorize geospatial operations in Python libraries like shapely and geopandas. This is one of the most-wanted features for the geospatial Python community, and would also improve our own data workflows a lot.
- Help build our data pipeline for collecting and processing the 2020 Census data when it is released. This would build off of the Districtr data processing code.