Arts Reach Coordinator, Museum of Arts and Desgn
Museum of Arts and Design
New York, NY
Arts Reach Coordinator Position
Arts Reach Program provides arts instruction for suspended students in
alternative learning centers in Manhattan. Students are in Alternate
Learning Centers for the duration of their suspensions; depending on the
disciplinary infraction, the suspension may last from 6-10 days or 30-90
days. Museum Artist educators facilitate art classes that include visual
literacy, critical thinking skills and hands-on workshops.
* Contribute to researching, adapting and developing hands-on, interactive
* Assist with writing curriculum for programs.
* Coordinate scheduling, meetings with teachers, assistant principals,
Museum educators for 6 ALC sites
* Site visits to oversee and evaluate class room management
* Prepare and order program supplies and materials.
* Gather and prepare statistical reports.
* Attend departmental meetings and training sessions, as requested.
* Assist with School, Youth and Family Programs when necessary
* Read selected articles and materials related to museum exhibitions and
* Observe and assist School, Youth and Family Programs in order to
contribute to the best practices of our department.
* Assist with administrative duties as needed
* Demonstrated experience teaching students in after-school programs and or
special needs audiences
* Enthusiasm, creativity, flexibility, and ability to work in a fast-paced
* Ability to work collaboratively with Museum and artist educators as well
as the ability to work independently to create and deliver program content.
* Ability to communicate well with diverse groups including special needs
* Candidates must have knowledge of 20th-century and 21-century art history,
contemporary art, craft and design; a background in studio art preferred,
practicing artists are encouraged to apply.
* Experience working in a museum or cultural setting a plus.
* Knowledge of learning and cognitive theory and best practices for children
with special needs a plus.
* Knowledge of Microsoft word and excel
* B.A. required; Master’s Degree preferred. Degree or certification in
special education a plus.
Please send cover letter, resume, and salary history to
firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title in the subject line. Please
no phone or fax messages.