Image Archive Associate
Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation
(New York NY)
The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum is seeking an Image Archive Associate. As part of the Photographic Services team, the Image Archive Associate facilitates the preservation, organization and archiving of all Guggenheim images.
Founded in 1937, the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is dedicated to promoting the understanding and appreciation of art, architecture, and other manifestations of visual culture, primarily of the modern and contemporary periods. The Guggenheim realizes this mission through exceptional exhibitions, education programs, research initiatives, and publications. The Guggenheim strives to engage and educate an increasingly diverse international audience through its unique network of museums and partnerships. With nearly three million annual visitors worldwide, the Guggenheim and its network is one of the most visited cultural institutions in the world.
May supervise interns.
• Operates and maintains high resolution digital scanning workstation for Guggenheim collection works of art, Licensing, exhibition and architectural views, Conservation documentation images, Image Archive and Publication projects. This includes scanning original materials from the Image Archive and delivering final, color corrected high-resolution digital files.
• Organizes and maintains all Guggenheim collection, exhibition and Conservation photography created in the Photographic Services Department. Confirms that metadata, formatting, and file naming conform to studio standards. Organizes images on servers.
• Digital file editing: clean up, color correction and metadata entry of digital files of new, collection, Conservation and exhibition-related photography.
• Assists with managing workflow of new collection photography to be entered into TMS (collection database).
• Scanning and editing of historical material, including archival exhibition views and architectural views for internal and external clients and entry into the Image Archive (Media Beacon database).
• Assists Digital Asset Manager with maintenance and administrative tasks supporting MediaBeacon, the museum’s digital asset management system (DAMs).
• Supports Licensing with fulfillment of external rights & reproduction requests and internal fulfillment requests.
• High level editing of digital files, including retouching, blending, silhouetting and local color correction, for exhibition photography, publications, special projects and retail products.
• Creates and edits digital SLR based video for Publications, Public Affairs and special projects.
Qualifications and Requirements:
• B.A. or M.F.A. in fine arts, Photography, Museum Studies, Library Science or related fields.
• At least 2 to 3 years experience with an Image Archive for a museum, gallery or foundation.
• Working knowledge of digital imaging techniques and software, including a high level of fluency with Photoshop retouching techniques, Adobe Bridge metadata entry and Adobe Lightroom editing. Familiarity with Media Beacon or other DAM database software a plus.
• Fluency with Final Cut Pro X and other video and audio editing software.
• General understanding of digital image file standards: color management, retouching, Macintosh OS X operating system and related digital asset management practices.
• Familiarity with traditional photography, including film types, formats and digital photography.
• Excellent organizational and archival skills.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
The Guggenheim offers a competitive salary and excellent medical, dental, life, disability, and retirement plan coverage. Our staff also enjoys generous vacation, sick leave and personal days, access to a variety of cultural institutions, discounts to museum stores, and a stimulating and collegial work environment.
Qualified applicants please send your resume and cover letter, including salary expectations, to email@example.com. Indicate the job title “Image Archive Associate” in the subject line.
The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.