The Interpretation & Events Division provides meaningful learning opportunities for Mount Vernon’s one million annual visitors. Through a diverse portfolio of interpretive experiences, engaging public programs, and special events, we expand each guest’s understanding of and appreciation for our nation’s Founding Father. The Department of History Interpretation, one of the Division’s six operating units, manages interpretive operations at the Mansion and Washington’s Tomb, provides walking tours around the historic area, and supports a variety of special guest experiences. This dynamic department is composed of approximately 75 dedicated part-time and 3 full-time employees.
A. Exceed guest expectations – be friendly, respectful, engaging, and flexible. Always remember that this visit may be their first and only.
B. Encourage a meaningful appreciation of George Washington – keep him first and use his unparalleled legacy of character and leadership to inspire.
C. Engage yourself in the mission of the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association – take responsibility for your continued development and commit to collaboration. Care for your colleagues and be proud of what we accomplish together.
- Manage the staff and educational programs at the Mansion, Washington’s Tomb, and around the historic area in order to ensure high-quality learning opportunities in a safe and friendly environment.
– Lead departmental managers, supervisors, and all front-line staff, to maximize collaboration and effectiveness.
– Direct the evaluation of existing programs, ongoing interpretive planning, new tour and program development, and other special projects.
– Develop and implement new/refreshed interpretive strategies and policies, when necessary.
– Oversee all elements of personnel management related to History Interpretation staff (approximately 70-80 people). Create a positive work environment, encourage morale, and provide staff with the tools necessary to succeed. Direct recruitment, hiring, training, coaching, disciplining, and effective evaluation of performance.
– Manage departmental resources, monitor budget, and promote efficiency.
– Participate in Interpretation & Events Division senior team meetings and strategy sessions.
- A bachelor’s degree and 5-10 years of relevant experience required
- Excellent managerial, interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills required
- Must be detail-oriented and able to work well under pressure
- Must be able to work creatively and effectively as a member of a team
- Must demonstrate a sincere interest in history
- Must be able to stand/walk for long periods on varying surfaces, inside and outside, and in a variety of conditions
- Must comply with: division-wide managerial standards
- Must work some weekends, evenings, and holidays
You may send application materials: via email – HRMail@MountVernon.org, or fax – 703.780.8320 or postal mail – P.O. Box 110, Mount Vernon, Virginia 22121. Our applications may be downloaded and printed from the website atwww.MountVernon.org or picked up in person at the Ticket window, Restaurant or Retail shops.
Mount Vernon is an Equal Opportunity Employer