(Role Title: PR & Marketing Specialist I)
Position #: W0023
Salary Range: Pay Band 2
Minimum Starting Pay: $12/hr
Location: Martinsville, Virginia
The Virginia Museum of Natural History is seeking an Advancement Associate to assist the Marketing Manager in promoting all museum activities and raising significant awareness of the museum throughout the Commonwealth and surrounding region. As part of the museum’s Advancement Department, the Advancement Associate will also assist efforts in other areas of the department where assigned. This position reports to the Marketing Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Communications/Media Relations: Assist in writing, creating, editing and distribution of promotional and informational materials for museum exhibits, programs, and events; maintain museum’s press, public, and constituent contact lists; respond to press and public inquiries via phone and email; assist in giving museum tours where assigned; assist in mailings and other ongoing communication efforts with VMNH members and supporters.
- Social Media: Continuously provide updates using the museum’s social media resources and increase museum’s social media reach and presence.
- Web site: Regularly provide and update content on the museum’s Web site. Regularly provide calendar listings and informational listings on outside parties’ Web sites.
- Promotional Events: Assist in planning, set-up and staffing of trade shows and other events that provide museum visibility. Assist in planning, set-up and promotion of all museum events. Be available for occasional long-distance travel and the possibility of overnight travel.
- Advertising: Work with all museum departments to gather and distribute information through the proper advertising channels, including social media, print media, television, radio, etc.
- Administrative: Assist other areas of the Advancement Department where assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will: have excellent written and verbal communication, time management, organizational and interpersonal skills; be able to make well-educated decisions about using limited resources; have the ability to work on many projects simultaneously, meet frequent deadlines and be able to work effectively independently and in team settings. Knowledge of MS Office and social media are required.
- Preferred: Bachelor’s degree, preferably in marketing, communications or related field; or equivalent experience.
The Commonwealth of Virginia online employment application is available at http://jobs.agencies.virginia.gov. Only online applications are accepted. If you need computer or Internet access or assistance in completing the online application, please contact the Human Resources Office at 276-634-4158. Applications must be submitted by 5 p.m. November 19, 2012.
The Virginia Museum of Natural History complies with E-Verify which is an internet based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security in partnership with the Social Security Administration that allows participating employers to electronically verify the employment eligibility of their newly hired employees.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are afforded equal opportunities without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, age or disability. The successful applicant must furnish proof of identity and employment eligibility and is subject to a background check.