Snug Harbor was founded in 1801 as a haven for retired sailors. Today the Snug Harbor Cultural Center & Botanical Garden (SHCC) is a vibrant regional botanical and arts center serving 450,000 visitors per year. Located less than 2 miles from the Staten Island Ferry and easily accessible by public transportation, SHCC’s stunning 83-acre campus features 26 architecturally significant buildings and botanical gardens that includes a traditional Chinese garden, a Tuscan garden, and an outdoor covered stage. SHCC’s 686-seat Music Hall is New York City’s second oldest music hall and is a centerpiece for local performing. In addition to SHCC’s own programs, its campus houses several separate major nonprofit institutions. Snug Harbor is a must-see destination that provides arts, education, and entertainment to the people of Staten Island and its surrounding communities.
The Business Manager oversees the earned income component of Snug Harbor Cultural Center & Botanical Garden’s operations. The Business Manager is responsible for rentals on the Snug Harbor campus and undertakes business development to identify and contract with new clients to conduct business at Snug Harbor’s unique facilities. In addition to business in dance studios and classrooms, Snug Harbor’s Business Manager solicits activity for the historic 686 seat Music Hall; a 150 seat performing arts venue; outdoor areas; and film shoots in both indoor and outdoor locations throughout the site. The Business Manager actively seeks new clients to maximize activity at Snug Harbor and draw new audiences. The position also includes a component of content development to identify rental uses to fulfill Snug Harbor’s cultural mission. The Business Manager reports directly to the CFO and will frequently serve as the CFO’s representative at networking and business development functions.
- Manage all aspects of rental activity at Snug Harbor, including studio and meeting room rentals, special event rentals, theater rentals, and film shoot activity
- Negotiates and executes rental contracts
- Conducts tours of the site with potential clients
- Assigns staffing for key events from a pool of part time, in-house talent
- Maintains superior relationships with all business clients
- Manages the site rental and event calendar to communicate and coordinate all activity at the site
- Prepares periodic reports on earned income activity for senior staff and the Board of Directors
- Works with the Accounting Associate to verify all contracts are properly recorded in the accounting system
- Identify new clients, especially in the film and television industries
- Work with the Director of Performing Arts and the Director of Visual Arts to develop and implement programmatic themes for activity at the site
- Assist with major programmatic events as needed
- Candidate must have a BA in a relevant field with demonstrated experience, excellent communication and people skills, strong organizational and clerical skills, and superior attention to detail
- Candidate must have strong knowledge of Microsoft Outlook and proficiency in Word and Excel
- Must be detail-oriented, proactive, with excellent follow-up and organizational skills and demonstrate excellent customer service both inside and outside the organization
- Ability to work quickly and with discretion is essential
The qualified candidate for this position will bring a mix of the energy, adaptability, judgment, communication and critical thinking skills and “roll up the sleeves attitude” towards their work. Additional qualifications include:
- Candidate must be personable, a team player, creative and extremely organized
- Self-motivated with the ability to work both alone and in groups
- Enthusiastic, work to high standards and ability to take direction
- Ability to work some weekends and evenings as needed
Competitive with benefits
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls please. Snug Harbor Cultural Center & Botanical Garden is an equal opportunity employer.