Job Categories: Marketing & Public Relations, Philadelphia County (PA), Community Art/Cultural Organization
PENNSYLVANIA HUMANITIES COUNCIL
Founded in 1973, Pennsylvania Humanities Council is a private, nonprofit, nongovernmental organization dedicated to providing every Pennsylvanian with access to the humanities.
The mission of PHC is “to build and lead a vibrant network of individuals, organizations, and communities that champion the humanities and empowers Pennsylvanians to think critically, grow and engage in their communities.” With PHC’s support, hundreds of organizations offer humanities programs that affect the everyday lives of people in their communities. Programs include grant making, speakers, book discussion groups, and special media projects.
Pennsylvania Humanities Council has a $1.4 million annual operating budget, with a strong senior leadership team and an engaged Board of Directors from across the state. PHC is well-known for exceptional programming nationally among state humanities councils. Additional information on PHC can be found at www.pahumanities.org.
The Communications Manager is a new role with Pennsylvania Humanities Council. Reporting to the Director of Development and Communications, the Communications Manager will work closely with management, program, technical, and support staff to advance PHC’s mission and goals.
The Communications Manager is responsible for creating and maintaining effective and positive community and media relations through print and electronic efforts, for the day-to-day marketing of PHC in alignment with its strategic goals and activities, and the advancement of its mission.
• In concert with the Director of Development and Communications and other appropriate staff, develops, implements, and executes annual communications plans to raise the visibility of PHC, and support its programs.
• Oversees the development, production and maintenance of PHC’s website through regular updates, leverages social media outlets to increase awareness, recognition and participation in PHC programs and initiatives, and monitors PHC’s presence on external sites, blogs and news outlets.
• Creates print and web-based press materials relating to PHC programs and initiatives for multiple audiences that included the general public, PHC grantees, elected officials, and donors.
• Maintains and cultivates professional and positive relations with news media, pitches story angles, and responds to requests for information.
• Writes, edits, and produces PHC’s monthly newsletter and other communications materials
• Assists in the creation and implementation of PHC’s advocacy strategy with elected officials, particularly on the federal level.
• Assists in the planning and implementation of events for the general public, donors, and other constituents.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
The successful candidate will possess a blend of the following:
• Bachelor’s degree required.
• 3 to 4 years of experience in public information, public relations, communications, or marketing.
• Passion for the humanities, and personal values consistent with PHC’s mission.
• A competent and natural external leader who can convey confidence, build relationships and represent PHC in the community.
• Integrity beyond reproach, with follow through on commitments.
• Self-directed as well as collegial.
• Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to build relationships with diverse populations.
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to speak, write, and design messages in various formats for different audiences.
• Highly-organized and able to meet strict deadlines.
• Ability to work irregular hours, including occasional travel within Pennsylvania. Valid driver’s license required.
This position has an attractive and competitive salary and benefits package. Flexible work schedules will be considered for this position.
APPLICATIONS DUE DECEMBER 7, 2012
No phone calls at this time. Qualified individuals may apply confidentially by submitting resume, cover letter and compensation requirements as MS Word attachments to: email@example.com. Please reference the following in the subject line of your email:
PHC – Communications Manager
PHC is an equal opportunity employer.
TO APPLY APPLICATIONS DUE DECEMBER 7, 2012 No phone calls at this time. Qualified individuals may apply confidentially by submitting resume, cover letter and compensation requirements as MS Word attachments to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference the following in the subject line of your email:
PHC – Communications Manager
Education Level: College degree
Posted: 11/13/2012 Expires: 12/13/2012