Philadelphia’s Magic Gardens (PMG) General Manager is responsible for overseeing the daily operations of PMG including staff scheduling and management, visitor services, daily finances, public programs, and events. Under the direction of the Executive Director, this position provides core leadership to staff and contractors, including supervision for other management positions within the organization. The GM provides direct support to the Executive Director and works in tandem with the Education & Outreach Manager to provide oversight to all functions of Philadelphia’s Magic Gardens. The GM also communicates closely with the founding artist, Isaiah Zagar, to oversee mosaic sales, care take the site, maintain Zagar’s role within public programs, and respond to inquiries about mosaic projects.
The General Manager is a PMG representative to visitors, media, collaborators, special guests, and staff/volunteers. Key responsibilities for this role fall under administrative/human resources, financial management, and visitor services, but other critical responsibilities fall within programs/interpretation and events. Specifically, the GM is responsible for:
- Maintain staff and event calendars
- Order and inventory supplies and merchandise
- File, documentation, database management; website maintenance
- Staff hiring, training, reviews, and corrective actions
- Generate or assist in creation of marketing materials, including press releases, social media, signage ads; project manage Graphic Design Associate (with assistance from ED and other managers)
- Management of membership, donations, fundraising campaign databases
- Supervise and manage artwork sales and exhibition databases
- Review daily/weekly finances: count and deposit cash, balance registers, receive/issue invoices
- Review and analyze financial statements with Executive Director, help to oversee programmatic budgets
- Input staff payroll and contractor payments
- Open/close the gallery and site
- Ensure the cleanliness and safety of the facility
- Interpret the history and artworks of PMG
- General visitor service and register duties
- Supervise Weekend Manager(s)
- Lead tours of PMG’s site as needed (with Education and Outreach Manager)
- Assist in community outreach and development of core programmatic components
- Facilitate and oversee exhibitions, including installation, communications, layout, and related events, help to project manage Exhibition Assistant
- Act as a liaison between Isaiah & Julia Zagar and PMG staff/public audience
- Oversee volunteer core
- Supervise and support Events Manager
- Maintain leadership and spokesperson roles during public/private events
- Assume leadership role during planning and implementation of major fundraisers
The ideal candidate for the General Manager Position will have outstanding organizational, writing, problem-solving, and communication skills. He/she will be able to delegate tasks, follow up with staff, and lead by example. The GM will be friendly and self-motivated with strengths in detail-orientation, multi-tasking, and level-headed decision making. The GM must also employ a larger perspective for the organization beyond routine tasks.
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS:
• 3 year experience in arts administrative leadership or nonprofit management
• 1 -2 years of related visitor services experience
• Ability to motivate and lead diverse groups of people
• Previous sales/cash handling experience
• Knowledge of visual arts and art history preferred
• Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel; knowledge of QuickBooks a plus
• Basic knowledge of technology and social media
• Some light lifting and physical labor occasionally required
The General Manager position is a 40 hour per week position, from 9:00AM-5:00PM Monday to Friday, with some flexibility expected for evening events or meetings. Salary to commensurate with experience, plus excellent benefits.
Applications will be reviewed immediately and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis until May 3. Please send your cover letter, resume, and 3 professional references to email@example.com, with a subject of: General Manager Position. No phone calls, please.
ABOUT PHILADELPHIA’S MAGIC GARDENS (www.philadelphiasmagicgardens.org)
Philadelphia’s Magic Gardens (PMG) is a mosaicked visionary art environment, gallery, and community arts center that preserves, interprets, and provides access to Isaiah Zagar’s unique mosaic art environment and his public murals. The Magic Gardens site, Zagar’s largest artwork, includes a fully tiled indoor space and a massive outdoor mosaic sculpture garden that spans half a block on Philadelphia’s famous South Street. Inside, visitors can view folk art statues, bicycle wheels, colorful glass bottles, Zagar’s hand-made tiles, and thousands of glittering mirrors. The installation pays tribute to Zagar’s artistic influences, along with community and personal experiences.
Open to visitors daily, PMG has become a unique Philadelphia destination, hosting year-round, low-cost public programs within its own distinctive venue and the surrounding community. PMG, a nonprofit organization, inspires creativity and community engagement by educating the public about folk, mosaic, and visionary art.