Walker Art Center is seeks a CURATORIAL ASSISTANT to assist the Visual Arts curators in the research, planning and production of both borrowed and in-house exhibitions. This individual will act as a liaison with artists, collectors, dealers, lenders, and staff involved in exhibition production. In addition to its focus on exhibitions, this position encompasses a wide range of duties including those associated with the permanent collection, acquisitions, and grant-driven initiatives.
- Provide general curatorial assistance in the planning and organization of exhibitions, including scholarly research and logistical support in the preparation of checklists, loan requests, exhibition catalogues, didactic materials, interpretive labels, and other exhibition-related materials.
- Support curators by contributing research on incoming works of art and assisting with other details around the acquisitions process.
- Coordinate and implement Visual Arts contributions to major grant-driven initiatives, particularly those that require interdepartmental collaboration; assist with the preparation of grant proposals, fundraising narratives, and project budgets.
- Provide clerical support to curators as needed, including correspondence and mailings.
- Lead tours of permanent collection, Minneapolis Sculpture Garden, and special exhibitions to donors, touring groups, professionals, and special guests.
- Develop and assist with the production of online content related to the Visual Arts program for the Walker’s blogs and website.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in art history or related field; M.A. preferred with a specialization in contemporary (post-1960) art.
- 1+ years of curatorial or related experience required. Current practices in the field is essential.
- Solid art-historical research skills and ability to conduct original, independent research.
- Strong written and verbal skills.
- Well organized, detail oriented, and excellent planning and implementation skills.
- Must be proactive, an independent problem solver, able to anticipate needs on projects, and able to track and meet multiple deadlines.
This is a full time, temporary (3 year) position. Salary to mid-$30’s and excellent benefits
For consideration, send letter of interest, resume, salary expectation and writing samples (academic or museum related material – catalog entries, labels, etc.)to email@example.com. Please include the names of 3 professional references.
This position will be open for application until we close this announcement.